Apple Inc (AAPL) Developing Liquid-Cooled Devices?
By Precious Silva | June 21, 2013 12:07 PM EST
Apple, HTC and Samsung have been battling it out in tech manufacturing for quite some time now. According to Digitimes, the competition may no longer be just on which company can produce the lightest and fastest devices. Rumor has it that the three companies are looking into developing liquid-cooled phones.
Just last May, the NEC Medias X 06 E was introduced in Japan. The phone features a liquid cooling system similar to the one used in ultrabooks. The phone's pipes measure only less than a millimeter. The release of the NEC Media X 06 spawned interest among tech manufacturers to venture into the same thing.
Additionally, the NEC Media phone proved to the market that liquid cooling is possible on smartphones. Apple is not going to let that one pass up. Liquid cooling is more efficient and effective than what smartphones use these days. Graphite radiators cannot provide the same optimal results are liquid coolers.
However, companies like Apple, HTC and Samsung are still looking into addressing the drawbacks of the system. Unlike graphic radiators, liquid cooling systems are challenging or demanding to maintain. They work well for ultrabooks but compacting them in mobile devices does not pose sure results.
Any leaks in the cooling system can mean the end for the device. Mobile phones or smartphones are more prone to leakage because of the extent of usage and construction. The processing power of smartphones increases by the day thus the importance of getting a more efficient and better cooling system.
Liquid cooling systems is becoming preferable option especially for sustaining the life and power of smartphones. It is safe to assume Samsung, Apple and HTC are already considering the inclusion of this system to their devices. As Intel works on developing a faster chip for mobile phones, liquid cooling is fast becoming the better alternative.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8