Australia Issues Warning: Two of Victoria’s Worst Sex Predators Escape Prison Facility
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 20, 2013 1:00 PM EST
Australia warned locals specially those residing in Victoria state of the escape from prison of two of its worst sex predators.
If not for the electronic monitoring bracelets that the two men are required to wear, authorities won't be able to know that 27-year-old Sean Andrew Carmody-Coyle and 26-year-old David Gregory Byrnes have escaped Corella Place just before midnight on Wednesday.
However, the electronic tracking bracelets only work within the facility. Corella Place is a transitional facility for sex offenders who have completed their prison sentences. Although both men have served their sentences, police still consider them potential nuisances to the community and its safety.
Mr Byrnes sexually assaulted a five-year-old boy inside a toilet cubicle at a shopping centre in 2004 when he was 18 years old.
Less information, meanwhile, is known about Mr Carmody-Coyle and his offense.
The men had "breached their court-ordered curfews and left the facility unaccompanied late last night," a Corrections Victoria spokesman confirmed.
"Both of these men have significant criminal histories and are considered violent sex offenders and are dangerous," acting Victoria Police Commander Neil Patterson has told Fairfax Radio, noting police are continuing an extensive search of the Ararat area for the men.
In May, Corrections Minister Edward O'Donohue announced the Corella Place residents would be the first to use GPS-enabled bracelets that could help law enforcement authorities track dangerous parolees and even those on sex-offender supervision orders as it tracks them wherever they are.
But they are scheduled to be introduced next month, July.
The existing electronic bracelets with Messrs Byrnes and Mr Carmody-Coyle use radio frequency technology but only when the offender is in a specific area. Outside the zone movements are untraceable.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4