Australia Issues Warning: Two of Victoria’s Worst Sex Predators Escape Prison Facility
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 20, 2013 1:00 PM EST
Australia warned locals specially those residing in Victoria state of the escape from prison of two of its worst sex predators.
If not for the electronic monitoring bracelets that the two men are required to wear, authorities won't be able to know that 27-year-old Sean Andrew Carmody-Coyle and 26-year-old David Gregory Byrnes have escaped Corella Place just before midnight on Wednesday.
However, the electronic tracking bracelets only work within the facility. Corella Place is a transitional facility for sex offenders who have completed their prison sentences. Although both men have served their sentences, police still consider them potential nuisances to the community and its safety.
Mr Byrnes sexually assaulted a five-year-old boy inside a toilet cubicle at a shopping centre in 2004 when he was 18 years old.
Less information, meanwhile, is known about Mr Carmody-Coyle and his offense.
The men had "breached their court-ordered curfews and left the facility unaccompanied late last night," a Corrections Victoria spokesman confirmed.
"Both of these men have significant criminal histories and are considered violent sex offenders and are dangerous," acting Victoria Police Commander Neil Patterson has told Fairfax Radio, noting police are continuing an extensive search of the Ararat area for the men.
In May, Corrections Minister Edward O'Donohue announced the Corella Place residents would be the first to use GPS-enabled bracelets that could help law enforcement authorities track dangerous parolees and even those on sex-offender supervision orders as it tracks them wherever they are.
But they are scheduled to be introduced next month, July.
The existing electronic bracelets with Messrs Byrnes and Mr Carmody-Coyle use radio frequency technology but only when the offender is in a specific area. Outside the zone movements are untraceable.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- U.S. Airstrikes Bring Relief To Syrian Kurds Near Turkey Border
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes
- Make Way For Afghanistan’s New First Lady, A Breaker Of Taboo
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates