Researchers Discover Secret To Naked Moles Rats Resistance To Cancer
June 20, 2013 3:46 AM EST
Researchers were able to discover a chemical that made naked mole rats resistant to cancer. The discovery could pave the way for new cancer treatments for humans.
Naked mole rats, despite their appearance, are extraordinary creatures as they have a relatively long lifespan of 30 year, live in environments that other animals deem toxic and cannot feel pain. Naked mole rats have never been observed to develop cancer, despite living for up to 30 years, and researchers from the University of Rochester were able to discover the source of the rodent’s natural resistance.
Led by Andrei Seluanov and Vera Gorbunova, researchers discovered naked mole rat tissue contains a high concentration of high molecular weight hyaluronan (HMW-HA) and their study was published in the journal Nature. HMW-HA is described as a “gooey substance,” became the focus of researchers as it proved problematic in the lab as it would block up vacuum pumps, according to the University of Rochester press release. This type of substance was not found in other cultures developed around human or other rodent tissue.
HMW-HA is secreted by the rodent’s fibroblasts, cells that synthesize the structural elements of tissue, collagen and the extracellular matrix. The HA produced by naked mole rates are more than five times the size of HA produced by humans or mice. HA also aids in the wound healing process.
After identifying HMW-HA as the culprit, the researchers examined its role in the cancer resistance of naked mole rats. Removing HMW-HA from naked mole rat tissue cultures made the tissue susceptible to tumor growth. The researchers were also able to identify the specific gene hyaluronan synthase 2, or HAS2, responsible for the development of HMW-HA.
HMW-HA is recycled slowly by naked mole rats, which allows for the chemical to build up in naked mole rat tissue. The reason for the slow recycling is due to the reduced activity of the enzyme that breaks down HA, HYAL2.
Researchers want to test the ability of HMW-HA to resistant cancer growth by introducing the chemical to mice. If those tests are successful, human testing could be next. HMW-HA is used in other applications for human use which means, theoretically, it could be applied towards cancer treatments. “It's used in anti-wrinkle injections and to relieve pain from arthritis in knee joints, without any adverse effects. Our hope is that it can also induce an anti-cancer response,” said Seluanov. The researchers also remarked that, instead of studying cancer in animals that are prone to the disease, naked mole rats, and other cancer-resistant animals, could lead to new cancer treatment developments.
In the abstract, the researchers conclude, “We speculate that naked mole rats have evolved a higher concentration of HA in the skin to provide skin elasticity needed for life in underground tunnels. This trait may have then been co-opted to provide cancer resistance and longevity to this species.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying