Radioactive Strontium, Which Can Cause Bone Cancer, Found In Groundwater At Site Of Fukushima Nuclear Plant Disaster
June 19, 2013 11:52 PM EST
Tokyo Electric Power Co. Inc. (TYO:9501), or TEPCO, which is responsible for cleaning up the site of the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster that occurred in the wake of the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami, said Wednesday it has discovered levels of a radioactive form of a chemical element that’s 30 times the legal limit deemed safe.
The problem hampers TEPCO’s ability to dump wastewater used to wash three of the failed reactors into the Pacific Ocean, according to Reuters.
The chemical, strontium-90, is a radioactive form of a safer isotope that has been used in industrial applications, such as the glass used in older CRT computer monitors. But the radioactive version can cause cancer because strontium is very similar to calcium and is absorbed by bones, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
Speaking at a new conference, TEPCO General Manager Toshihiko Fukuda said he doesn’t believe the contaminant has leaked into the ocean. The company has been trying to convince local fishermen that it’s safe to dump 100 tons of Fukushima groundwater used to clean the site into the ocean.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- NBA GMs Pick San Antonio Spurs To Repeat As NBA Champions; LeBron James To Earn 2015 MVP Award
- Cain Velasquez Injures Knee, Mark Hunt Substitutes to Contest Interim Title Against Fabricio Werdum
- University of North Carolina Under Fire For ‘Shadow Curriculum’
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop