Radioactive Strontium, Which Can Cause Bone Cancer, Found In Groundwater At Site Of Fukushima Nuclear Plant Disaster
June 19, 2013 11:52 PM EST
Tokyo Electric Power Co. Inc. (TYO:9501), or TEPCO, which is responsible for cleaning up the site of the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster that occurred in the wake of the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami, said Wednesday it has discovered levels of a radioactive form of a chemical element that’s 30 times the legal limit deemed safe.
The problem hampers TEPCO’s ability to dump wastewater used to wash three of the failed reactors into the Pacific Ocean, according to Reuters.
The chemical, strontium-90, is a radioactive form of a safer isotope that has been used in industrial applications, such as the glass used in older CRT computer monitors. But the radioactive version can cause cancer because strontium is very similar to calcium and is absorbed by bones, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
Speaking at a new conference, TEPCO General Manager Toshihiko Fukuda said he doesn’t believe the contaminant has leaked into the ocean. The company has been trying to convince local fishermen that it’s safe to dump 100 tons of Fukushima groundwater used to clean the site into the ocean.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- OnePlus One Preorder Period Will Only Last For 1 Hour
- Daniel Cormier Nabs Permanent Co-Host Job For Fox Sports’ ‘UFC Tonight’
- Ryan Reynolds Excited About Incoming Baby, Does Not Want Pretentious Names
- Ebola Czar In US To Work On Bringing Down Anxiety Levels About The Epidemic : Nigeria Cheers As It Becomes Ebola Free
- ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1’ – Devastation In District 12 Revealed In New Trailer [Watch Video]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage