Somali and African Union Troops Regain Control of UN Base from Al-Shebaab Rebels
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | June 19, 2013 8:42 PM EST
Somalian and African Union forces have regained control of a UN compound in the Somali capital of Mogadishu after it was attacked by rebels linked to al-Qaida.
"The situation is under control now. Soldiers stormed the compound and killed the attackers," said police official Abdulahi Osman.
At least three civilians were killed outside the compound. No UN casualties were reported.
Militants with the al-Shebaab group attacked the compound in the first major assault on the organisation in years.
According to witnesses, an was heard in the building, which is home to several UN humanitarian agencies. The blast was followed by the sound of heavy gunfire.
Reportedly, the attack started after a suicide bomber blew himself up at the gates of the complex but that has not been confirmed.
A plume of thick black smoke billowed into the sky above the city, according to Al Jazeera.
"Our commandos have attacked the UN compound. We set off an explosion and have entered the compound, where we are fighting with the infidel forces," a senior al-Shebaab official said at the time.
The compound includes both residential and office areas. UN staff were believed to be sheltering in a bunker at the compound.
Al-Shabaab fighters used to control most of the capital until they abandoned positions in August 2011
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display