Mars Curiosity Fires Laser on Red Planet; Ancient Structures Spotted? [VIDEOS]
By Arlene Paredes | June 19, 2013 12:10 PM EST
NASA announced Monday the Curiosity rover on Mars has successfully fired its laser on a Martian soil target, causing a pit to form. Meanwhile, UFO watchers and paranormal speculators remain curious of what the space science agency could be keeping from the public. A YouTube video tackles what might be some ancient structures on the red planet.
"During the 271st Martian day, or sol, of Curiosity's work on Mars (May 11, 2013), ChemCam fired its laser at a soil target informally named "Sutton Inlier." ChemCam's remote micro-imager (RMI) recorded a series of images during this activity, documenting the formation of a pit during a burst of laser shots," NASA announced on its website. (See image above.)
The repeated laser blasts gradually created a hole, which can be seen in the animation below. This NASA-released time lapse movie covers 20 minutes of laser shots. The soil target was 9 feet (2.75 meters) away from the Curiosity ChemCam's laser blaster at the time of the shooting. The image you see above covers 1.1 inches (28 millimeters) across, according to NASA.
"The first five image frames were taken with only one laser shot between consecutive frames. The crater formed as soon as the first laser shot hit the target. Then, because the laser beam came from a slanting angle, not vertically, soil grains collapsed downslope into the hole, causing the crater to move slightly," reads the NASA statement.
Meanwhile, UFO observers continue to look for clues that could reveal past or present life on Mars. UFO watcher Scott C. Waring posted to YouTube a video of his Mars photo observations.
"I was looking over the Google Mars map and came across 3 structures. I wanted to record these structures since NASA has deleted some others I reported and so has Google Earth Map," Waring writes on the video description. Quick commenters point out Waring is merely looking at Martian rocks, not suspicious structures. Scroll down if you think Waring might be on to something.
VIDEO: 'Structures Discovered On Mars Using Google Earth, June 2013' - UFO Observer Scott Waring
More 'Mars Curiosity' and Odd News Features:
Mars Rat? Curiosity Rover Moving On, UFO Theories Dismissed; It's Just a Rock - NASA [READ]
Curiosity Mars Controversial Photos: The Rodent, the Flower, the Shiny Object and the Giant Ruins [PHOTOS, VIDEOS]
Mermaid Video: 'New Evidence' 2013 Creator Says, 'You can believe (mermaids) are real' [WATCH]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga