Mars Curiosity Fires Laser on Red Planet; Ancient Structures Spotted? [VIDEOS]
By Arlene Paredes | June 19, 2013 12:10 PM EST
NASA announced Monday the Curiosity rover on Mars has successfully fired its laser on a Martian soil target, causing a pit to form. Meanwhile, UFO watchers and paranormal speculators remain curious of what the space science agency could be keeping from the public. A YouTube video tackles what might be some ancient structures on the red planet.
"During the 271st Martian day, or sol, of Curiosity's work on Mars (May 11, 2013), ChemCam fired its laser at a soil target informally named "Sutton Inlier." ChemCam's remote micro-imager (RMI) recorded a series of images during this activity, documenting the formation of a pit during a burst of laser shots," NASA announced on its website. (See image above.)
The repeated laser blasts gradually created a hole, which can be seen in the animation below. This NASA-released time lapse movie covers 20 minutes of laser shots. The soil target was 9 feet (2.75 meters) away from the Curiosity ChemCam's laser blaster at the time of the shooting. The image you see above covers 1.1 inches (28 millimeters) across, according to NASA.
"The first five image frames were taken with only one laser shot between consecutive frames. The crater formed as soon as the first laser shot hit the target. Then, because the laser beam came from a slanting angle, not vertically, soil grains collapsed downslope into the hole, causing the crater to move slightly," reads the NASA statement.
Meanwhile, UFO observers continue to look for clues that could reveal past or present life on Mars. UFO watcher Scott C. Waring posted to YouTube a video of his Mars photo observations.
"I was looking over the Google Mars map and came across 3 structures. I wanted to record these structures since NASA has deleted some others I reported and so has Google Earth Map," Waring writes on the video description. Quick commenters point out Waring is merely looking at Martian rocks, not suspicious structures. Scroll down if you think Waring might be on to something.
VIDEO: 'Structures Discovered On Mars Using Google Earth, June 2013' - UFO Observer Scott Waring
More 'Mars Curiosity' and Odd News Features:
Mars Rat? Curiosity Rover Moving On, UFO Theories Dismissed; It's Just a Rock - NASA [READ]
Curiosity Mars Controversial Photos: The Rodent, the Flower, the Shiny Object and the Giant Ruins [PHOTOS, VIDEOS]
Mermaid Video: 'New Evidence' 2013 Creator Says, 'You can believe (mermaids) are real' [WATCH]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Crocodile Attacks, Takes Man in Adelaide River; Wife Witnesses Tragedy
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members