Global Fish Prices Hit Record Levels As Demand For Premium Seafood Spikes In China
June 19, 2013 5:33 AM EST
The price of high-end fish around the world has spiked to an all-time high due to a recent rise in demand in China that is outpacing supply, according to a new report released Tuesday.
The global fish price index, an indicator measured by the U.N.'s Rome-based Food and Agriculture Organization, rose 15 percent in May, well above the level at same time in 2012 and passing the previous peak in 2011.
The global fish price index tracks the cost of wild and farmed seafood and is considered an industry benchmark. Fish industry trade is expected to reach $130 billion by the end of 2013.
However, the FAO says that factors such as growing urbanization, which brings about more supermarkets, results in increased demand for seafood in emerging markets, especially China.
The Chinese diet is changing and has already boosted demand for grains and livestock feed. Now the index shows that the same demand is rising for high-end seafood such as tuna, oysters and shrimp.
"In the coming months, supply constraints for several important species are likely to keep world fish prices on the rise," the FAO's report warns. "China remains the world's largest producer of tilapia and the largest supplier to the European market."
Yet it also states that as China increases its imports of salmon, shellfish and other species, they tighten supply elsewhere. Rising demand in Asia is happening at the same time that supplies for several key species have fallen because of disease and high feeding costs in aquaculture.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Global Markets Overview – July 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 29, 2014
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]