Rising Housing Costs Drove U.S. Inflation Higher By 0.1% In May, Gasoline Price Flat, Food Costs Drop
June 18, 2013 10:47 PM EST
The U.S. Consumer Price Index rose by 0.1 percent in May, according to a report released Tuesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, matching what a consensus of economists expected for the closely watched inflation guage.
Analysts polled by Briefing.com expected, on average, a 0.1 percent gain in May, following a 0.4 percent drop in April.
The CPI, which measures the change in the price of goods and services purchased by consumers in a month, accounts for a majority of overall inflation.
The cost of housing rose 0.3 percent and accounted for more than half of the seasonally adjusted increase in May's total rise. The energy prices rose modestly driven by increases in electricity and natural gas. Gasoline prices were flat in May, the report said. The BLS said food prices dropped 0.3% in May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers