Rising Housing Costs Drove U.S. Inflation Higher By 0.1% In May, Gasoline Price Flat, Food Costs Drop
June 18, 2013 10:47 PM EST
The U.S. Consumer Price Index rose by 0.1 percent in May, according to a report released Tuesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, matching what a consensus of economists expected for the closely watched inflation guage.
Analysts polled by Briefing.com expected, on average, a 0.1 percent gain in May, following a 0.4 percent drop in April.
The CPI, which measures the change in the price of goods and services purchased by consumers in a month, accounts for a majority of overall inflation.
The cost of housing rose 0.3 percent and accounted for more than half of the seasonally adjusted increase in May's total rise. The energy prices rose modestly driven by increases in electricity and natural gas. Gasoline prices were flat in May, the report said. The BLS said food prices dropped 0.3% in May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Investigation into Cause of Crash Could Stretch to a Year; Black Box May Not Prove Missile as Cause
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports