Air New Zealand Unveils New Shark-Finned Airbus A320 Planes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 18, 2013 3:23 PM EST
Air New Zealand has unveiled during the 50th Le Bourget Paris Air Show its brand new shark-finned Airbus A320 planes.
Air New Zealand's new A320 has a 2.4m curved fuel saving wing tip devices, or sharklets. Compared to the old Boeing 737s, the sharklets will help the aircraft save 18 per cent in fuel per passenger.
Captain David Morgan, chief flight operations and safety officer, said the Boeing 737-300 jets are scheduled to be phased out of Air New Zealand's fleet over the next couple of years, thus making the new A320 the core of the airline's domestic fleet.
"From a CO2 perspective, each Sharklet equipped A320 aircraft will save 250 tonnes of carbon per year compared with an A320 without Sharklets," Mr Morgan said.
"The airline is committed to moving all domestic flying to this aircraft type to reap the efficiency gains it offers."
Air New Zealand has ordered a total of 10 Sharklet equipped A320s.
Sharklets offer the flexibility to A320 Family operators of either adding around 100 nautical miles more range or an increased payload capability of up to 450 kilogrammes.
"The Sharklets deliver a fuel burn reduction of up to four percent and will help Air New Zealand become even more efficient in one of the world's most competitive markets," John Leahy, Customers chief operating officer, said.
Airbus SAS, in 2009, launched the new blended winglet design sharklet to enhance the payload-range performance of the A320 Family. Offered as a retrofit option, sharklets are expected to result in a reduced fuel burn of at least 3.5 per cent over longer sectors, corresponding to an annual CO2 reduction of around 700 tonnes per aircraft.
The A320 was the first model fitted with sharklets.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Billionaire Money Habits: 5 Financial Habits Practiced By The World's Richest People
- This Is The Lammily Doll With Freckles And Acne That Make It More Attractive Than Barbie
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change