PS4 Pre-Orders Outnumber Xbox 2 To 1 At GameStop, According To Report
June 18, 2013 3:07 AM EST
According to a report by GameZone, PS4 pre-orders are outnumbering Xbox One pre-orders at a 2 to 1 ratio. This data comes courtesy of a GameStop rep who spoke with GameZone.
It's unclear whether the comment offered by the GameStop rep pertained merely to a single store, or whether the 2 to 1 PS4 vs. Xbox One pre-order ratio is a company-wide trend.
Either way, this data doesn't surprise us. Considering that the PS4 is cheaper and more consumer friendly (no used game restrictions or online checking, unlike the Xbox One), it doesn't shock us that gamers are voting for the PS4 with their dollars, and in overwhelming numbers to boot.
However, it is early, and we agree with Microsoft exec Phil Spencer when he said that "this isn't a sprint" and "the reaction, I think, is complete when the product is on the shelf." In fact, we take it even further than that. Like any player transaction in any sport, we can't properly determine a victory in the PS4 vs. Xbox One battle until 2 - 5 years after both consoles are released. Between now and then, we could see killer exclusive games, peripherals or revamped versions of the consoles themselves that may tip the scales in either the PS4's or Xbox One's favor. To this point though, the PS4 does seem to have a sizable lead on its Microsoft-branded competitor.
We have reached out to both GameStop and Amazon regarding pre-order data for both the PS4 and the Xbox One. We will update you if we receive any additional information.
What do you think of PS4 pre-orders beating Xbox One pre-orders 2 to 1 at GameStop? Do you think that the data refers to a single store or the entire company and why? What do you think of the PS4 and Xbox One overall? Which next-gen console will you be getting and why? Sound off in the comments below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire News: Meet Professor Birch Plus X and Y Updates
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Logitech Unveils Protection+ Case Accessory for Android Smartphone
- Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Battery Issue, How to Resolve and Future Firmware Upgrade
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition: Flemeth, Tallis, the Warden and Champion of Kirkwall Possible Appearances
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People