Ratan Tata Becomes Chief Advisor to AirAsia India
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 17, 2013 8:18 PM EST
AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes has successfully brought Ratan Tata, Chairman Emeritus Tata Group, on the airline's India board as chief advisor. The airline that promises to be all about 'low-fares' is set to touch Indian skyline by the end of this year.
"I am pleased to announce @ratantata as the chief advisor to the board of Airasia India. A legend in every sense. Building a powerful team," AirAsia chief Tony Fernandes tweeted late on Sunday.
"Persuading Mr Tata to be advisor has not been easy. Critical, we have someone of his massive experience to help me chart AirAsia India with Mittu (Chandilya) and myself."
Not long ago, Ratan retired as head of the Tata Group in December 2012, making way for Cyrus Mistry to take over. Under his supervision Tata Motors launched the world's cheapest car, Nano, which was initially priced at Rs 1 lakh.
AirAsia India is a joint venture between the Tata Group, Malaysian low-cost airline AirAsia and Arun Bhatia, a close relative of steel baron Lakshmi Mittal. Tata Sons has a 30 percent stake in AirAsia India, with Arun Bhatia of Telestra Tradeplace, who owns 21 percent. Fernandes also revealed that the next chairman of AirAsia India will be announced in a day or two.
The announcement came almost a week after Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh had said that all issues concerning AirAsia had been resolved.
A couple of days ago Mittu Chandilya was announced the CEO of the domestic airline's India board, which will have its headquarters in Chennai. AirAsia has set in motion its recruitment process for cabin crew and office staff.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales