Ratan Tata Becomes Chief Advisor to AirAsia India
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 17, 2013 8:18 PM EST
AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes has successfully brought Ratan Tata, Chairman Emeritus Tata Group, on the airline's India board as chief advisor. The airline that promises to be all about 'low-fares' is set to touch Indian skyline by the end of this year.
"I am pleased to announce @ratantata as the chief advisor to the board of Airasia India. A legend in every sense. Building a powerful team," AirAsia chief Tony Fernandes tweeted late on Sunday.
"Persuading Mr Tata to be advisor has not been easy. Critical, we have someone of his massive experience to help me chart AirAsia India with Mittu (Chandilya) and myself."
Not long ago, Ratan retired as head of the Tata Group in December 2012, making way for Cyrus Mistry to take over. Under his supervision Tata Motors launched the world's cheapest car, Nano, which was initially priced at Rs 1 lakh.
AirAsia India is a joint venture between the Tata Group, Malaysian low-cost airline AirAsia and Arun Bhatia, a close relative of steel baron Lakshmi Mittal. Tata Sons has a 30 percent stake in AirAsia India, with Arun Bhatia of Telestra Tradeplace, who owns 21 percent. Fernandes also revealed that the next chairman of AirAsia India will be announced in a day or two.
The announcement came almost a week after Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh had said that all issues concerning AirAsia had been resolved.
A couple of days ago Mittu Chandilya was announced the CEO of the domestic airline's India board, which will have its headquarters in Chennai. AirAsia has set in motion its recruitment process for cabin crew and office staff.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected