Confirmed iPad Mini 2, iPad 5 Specs on Release Date: Pixel-Rich Retina from Samsung & Narrow Bezel around the Tablet Screen
By Erik Pineda | June 17, 2013 1:26 PM EST
Apple's production activities for the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad 5 will likely start by third quarter this year as Samsung is once again tapped as the prime supplier of Retina display components for the next-generation iOS 7 tablet.
According to Patently Apple, the tech giant's production facilities in China will start accepting Retina shipments from component suppliers anytime between the months of July and September.
Identified as Apple's chief partner in deploying the iPad Mini 2 with Retina this 2013 is South Korea's LG Display.
The news, however, came with a big surprise - the elimination of Sharp from Japan and AU Optronics from Taiwan as key players in the thrust to mass produce the two upgraded iPad versions.
Apple arrived at the decision following the disappointments on "yield and quality problems that bogged Sharp of Japan and AUO of Taiwan," the Patently Apple report said.
On their stead, Samsung will step in anew after a few cycles of absence from Apple's supply chain. Note that prior to the emergence of Galaxy devices as top iOS gadget rivals, the two companies are close partners, with Samsung providing many key components of previous iPhone and iPad builds.
Its return will allow Apple to redesign the new iPad editions, specifically the regular-size iPad that has been lagging behind the iPad Mini in sales and popularity.
The Retina panel coming from LG and Samsung will boost the iPad's display resolution to 2048 x 1536, which is an upgrade most-anticipated for the smaller iPad.
Also, the improved Retina technology provided more room for Apple engineers to revise the iPad 5's design template. Analysts expect the slate to show off a thinner and lighter body. Adding to its appeal is the virtual zero-bezel around its screen, creating a general look that is akin with that of the million-selling first iPad Mini.
The hardware bump ups also include faster processors for both devices, likely of the A7 architecture, according to numerous analysts' projections.
The recently-unveiled iOS 7, emphasising a flatter OS environment, is expected too to debut with the Apple tablets.
Reports pointed to the likelihood that Apple will push out the iPad 5 between July and August while the iPad Mini 2 is pegged for a September or an October release date.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance