Confirmed iPad Mini 2, iPad 5 Specs on Release Date: Pixel-Rich Retina from Samsung & Narrow Bezel around the Tablet Screen
By Erik Pineda | June 17, 2013 1:26 PM EST
Apple's production activities for the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad 5 will likely start by third quarter this year as Samsung is once again tapped as the prime supplier of Retina display components for the next-generation iOS 7 tablet.
According to Patently Apple, the tech giant's production facilities in China will start accepting Retina shipments from component suppliers anytime between the months of July and September.
Identified as Apple's chief partner in deploying the iPad Mini 2 with Retina this 2013 is South Korea's LG Display.
The news, however, came with a big surprise - the elimination of Sharp from Japan and AU Optronics from Taiwan as key players in the thrust to mass produce the two upgraded iPad versions.
Apple arrived at the decision following the disappointments on "yield and quality problems that bogged Sharp of Japan and AUO of Taiwan," the Patently Apple report said.
On their stead, Samsung will step in anew after a few cycles of absence from Apple's supply chain. Note that prior to the emergence of Galaxy devices as top iOS gadget rivals, the two companies are close partners, with Samsung providing many key components of previous iPhone and iPad builds.
Its return will allow Apple to redesign the new iPad editions, specifically the regular-size iPad that has been lagging behind the iPad Mini in sales and popularity.
The Retina panel coming from LG and Samsung will boost the iPad's display resolution to 2048 x 1536, which is an upgrade most-anticipated for the smaller iPad.
Also, the improved Retina technology provided more room for Apple engineers to revise the iPad 5's design template. Analysts expect the slate to show off a thinner and lighter body. Adding to its appeal is the virtual zero-bezel around its screen, creating a general look that is akin with that of the million-selling first iPad Mini.
The hardware bump ups also include faster processors for both devices, likely of the A7 architecture, according to numerous analysts' projections.
The recently-unveiled iOS 7, emphasising a flatter OS environment, is expected too to debut with the Apple tablets.
Reports pointed to the likelihood that Apple will push out the iPad 5 between July and August while the iPad Mini 2 is pegged for a September or an October release date.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change