Sheer Yoga Pants Forces Lululemon CEO Christine Day To Step Down
By Industry Leaders Magazine | June 17, 2013 12:58 PM EST
Canadian sportswear retailer Lululemon Athletica - CEO, Christine Day is stepping down after the recent problems with a line of yoga pants that were inconsiderately see through.
The Vancouver based apparel company was founded by entrepreneur Chip Wilson in 1998 has customers for its pricey yoga and running gear who involve themselves in the company's free yoga classes and other events. But the company suffered a setback in March and had to apparently recall 17 percent of its popular Luon black yoga pants after reports that the pants were too revealing. It was an image hit which also hindered the first quarter earnings.
Day took over as the CEO in January 2008 after a long run at Starbucks, where she held a post at their Asia Pacific group. In a statement, Day said that her leaving was a personal decision and 'It is the right time to bring in a new CEO'. She also said 'Plans have been laid for the next five years and a vision set for the next ten'. The company said Day would step down from her role after a successor is named.
Lululemon stock was down about 17 percent to $68.95 after hours trading following Day's announcement resulting in a loss of over $500 million for Chip Wilson. Sam poser equity analyst at Sterne Agee and Leach ,downgraded Lululemon to neutral from buy and cut its 12 month price target to $75 from $90.Lululemon is trading at a very high multiple with the stock trading at 37 times current earnings compared to the S & P 500 Retailing Index which trades 25 times earnings.
Lululemon also plans to delist its stock from the Toronto Stock Exchange on June 24th because the low trading volume there didn't vindicate the administrative expenses related to its listing and its stock on the NASDAQ exchange. Shares will continue to trade on NASDAQ.
Day had guided the company through a period of explosive growth and this surprise exit is seen as a blow to the company by analysts. Of late even without the see through mishap of the yoga pants recall, Lululemon was facing competition from companies like Gap's Athleta brand. Even some of Lululemon's loyal shoppers have accused Day of spoiling their favourite brand. Now that Day has decided to step down Lululemon finds itself in a dilemma as it searches for a new CEO. The new CEO'S focus will be on product quality issues and finding a strategy to improve and increase product offerings. The recent developments may weigh on the stock in the near term, though it's a wait and watch situation.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 29, 2014
- Analyst: Slowdown in Home Prices is Good, the Final Stage to Economic Recovery
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge