iPad 5 Release Date This Month; iPad Mini 2 Launch in August?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | June 17, 2013 11:12 AM EST
Last week, IBTimes AU reported that iPad 5 will be released next week to counter the announcement of Samsung's phablet - Galaxy Note 3.
After the iPad 5 did not show up this week at the recently concluded Apple's annual WorldWide Developers' Conference, there are speculations that Apple intended to release its tablet in a separate event a week after the event. This is to counter the rumoured Samsung Galaxy Note 3 press event pegged next week.
For Apple to get to the top once again and keep ahead of its competitors, the launch of iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 6 is very crucial. Earlier there were reports of the iPad Mini being introduced in the market along with the next generation iPad 5 latest reports suggest a new schedule for iPad Mini production.
A recent report by a well-known Citi Research analyst says that the Cupertino based Apple is slashing the iPad Mini 2 price based from the existing $329 price of the iPad Mini. Even not hiking the price of the next generation iPad Mini 2 will find great favour with Apple fans across the world.
Reasons for the production delay were not officially provided but KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed in April that the iPad Mini 2 launch schedule will be later this year instead of the early predicted release date due to technical issues in the production process.
TechRadar stated that mid-August launch of iPad Mini looks certain at the moment. But to be true we cannot be sure about it until Apple actually launches it in the market.
According to rumours, iPad Mini 2 is speculated to feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
The iPad 5, on the other hand, is rumoured to have no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.
However, the Cupertino-based company offers no official comment on the aforementioned rumours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced