iPad 5 Release Date This Month; iPad Mini 2 Launch in August?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | June 17, 2013 11:12 AM EST
Last week, IBTimes AU reported that iPad 5 will be released next week to counter the announcement of Samsung's phablet - Galaxy Note 3.
After the iPad 5 did not show up this week at the recently concluded Apple's annual WorldWide Developers' Conference, there are speculations that Apple intended to release its tablet in a separate event a week after the event. This is to counter the rumoured Samsung Galaxy Note 3 press event pegged next week.
For Apple to get to the top once again and keep ahead of its competitors, the launch of iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 6 is very crucial. Earlier there were reports of the iPad Mini being introduced in the market along with the next generation iPad 5 latest reports suggest a new schedule for iPad Mini production.
A recent report by a well-known Citi Research analyst says that the Cupertino based Apple is slashing the iPad Mini 2 price based from the existing $329 price of the iPad Mini. Even not hiking the price of the next generation iPad Mini 2 will find great favour with Apple fans across the world.
Reasons for the production delay were not officially provided but KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed in April that the iPad Mini 2 launch schedule will be later this year instead of the early predicted release date due to technical issues in the production process.
TechRadar stated that mid-August launch of iPad Mini looks certain at the moment. But to be true we cannot be sure about it until Apple actually launches it in the market.
According to rumours, iPad Mini 2 is speculated to feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
The iPad 5, on the other hand, is rumoured to have no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.
However, the Cupertino-based company offers no official comment on the aforementioned rumours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid