West Bengal: 16-Year-Old’s Rotten Body Found in Paddy Field; Family Alleges Rape
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 16, 2013 10:05 PM EST
Adding to the growing list of sexual crimes in West Bengal, a teenage girl's decomposed body was found by locals in the jute field of Behrampore, Murshidabad, after a strong stench was detected on Saturday.
The family of the class IX girl alleged that she was raped since the body was found in a naked state with her clothes torn apart.
The minor was missing for three days and a police complaint was already filed with a case of abduction.
The victim's family suspected that Hoqdar Sheikh, the family's neigbour, and his accomplices raped the girl.
The family tried to change the complaint to rape against the accused, however, police refused to register the rape complaint and instead booked the accused under murder charges.
Hoqdar has not yet been arrested, and according to police he is absconding.
"Since police won't book them for rape, we will lodge a rape and murder charge in Lalbag subdivisional court on Monday. Police are trying to brush aside our rape complaint and forced us to sign a blank paper. My sister was evidently raped by Hoqdar before the murder as she was stripped naked and her clothes were left all around her body by her assailants," said the victim's brother to Times of India.
"The police have been harassing us from the very beginning. They told us to go Lalbag for the post-mortem but sent my sister's body to Behrampore. We wonder if the autopsy was conducted at all," added another relative.
The victim was said to be in a relationship with Hoqdar, which was opposed by her family.
The girl, who was last seen on Tuesday, was visited by Hoqdar and his kin at her house.
When questioned about police's reluctance to book a rape complaint, Biplab Karmakar, the OC of Ranitala police station said, "We had started a kidnap case earlier and then a murder case, according to the complaint of the victim's elder brother. If you want to know more, contact my superiors."
Meanwhile, SP Humayun Kabir said that rape case could be considered only when the post mortem report of the deceased substantiates to rape.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6