BlackBerry 10.2 OS Update Ready for Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Applications & Games Download and Installation
By Ryan Inoyori | June 15, 2013 11:30 PM EST
Blackberry 10.2 OS is making a huge leap with Android OS and the next update will now allow users to download Android Jelly Bean applications right on their Blackberry device. The Blackberry 10.2 OS has the power to download, install and run Android applications which is something Windows Phone OS and iOS haven't tried before.
Blackberry Strategic Boost
The Blackberry app store is currently holding around 90,000 apps which cannot be compared to hundreds of thousands found in the Google Play Store. The ability of the Blackberry 10.2 OS update is a great strategic point to allow Blackberry device users to get their favourite applications running Android Jelly Bean.
As of now, the Blackberry 10 OS can only run Android apps developed from the 2.3 Gingerbread release or earlier, which does not include some key apps such as Instagram, Vine and more. Blackberry 10.2 OS update is expected to be released on September 2013.
Blackberry 10.2 OS Testing on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
There is a beta release of the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps and Plug-in for the Android Development Tools for the BlackBerry 10.2 OS. It is the first beta release of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and includes features such as Android 2.3 Gingerbread support, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS Fragments, embedded fragments, animation framework and hardware acceleration.
However, the first beta release may contain bugs which normally happen. No matter, it means BlackBerry 10.2 OS update will give more as the release becomes stable eventually.
Notable Support Features:
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS support
- Android applications with API level 10 or higher are supported
- Eclipse version 22.0 of Android Development Tools
- Android Runtime upgrade from Gingerbread to Jelly Bean
- Hardware acceleration support for build API level 14
- Improved performance and smoothness of an application
If you're techie enough to try it, go the Runtime for Android Apps Web site and start using their new tools. For details regarding the release, support and bug fixes, check out the BlackBerry Plug-in Support and the BlackBerry Runtime Documentation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy