Prince William Has Indian Link, Reveals DNA Test
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 15, 2013 11:04 PM EST
BritainsDNA, which carried out the test on late Princess Diana's matrilineal cousins have stumbled upon the exotic link after taking saliva from the prince's relatives.
The link relates Prince William to partly-Indian housekeeper Eliza Kewark who used to work for Theodore Forbes, his four generation previous grandfather. Theodore was a merchant at Surat, Gujarat for the East India Company.
"William probably has a very small amount (of Indian DNA), maybe half a percent will be of South Asian heritage," said Jim Wilson, scientist at BritainsDNA, to CNN.
However, the Indian woman, Eliza Kewark is believed to be of mixed origin as her surname suggests an Armenian connection and her letters to Theodre were written in Armenian script. Scientists believe Eliza may have been Indian from her mother's side.
Wilson, who conducted the research, believes that Kewark was an Armenian living in Bombay.
Kewark's two living descendants were traced using birth records and certificates. A DNA test from the two, who are supposed to be Princess Diana's third cousins, corroborated the claims of the lineage.
"For me, it corroborated the findings from the mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA). We've got two different kinds of genetic evidence that are independent from one another and they both corroborate the story. So it really seems that our future king has a little bit of Indian blood," said Wilson.
However, the research also stated, "Princes William and Harry carry Eliza Kewark's markers but will not pass this Indian mtDNA onto their children, as mtDNA is only passed from mother to child."
On the other hand, some tests on William's cousin also revealed that they carry the Indian genome so there's a chance William could pass a slight bit to his posterior generation.
Prince William and wife Kate Middleton are expecting their first child this July.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28