Prince William Has Indian Link, Reveals DNA Test
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 15, 2013 11:04 PM EST
BritainsDNA, which carried out the test on late Princess Diana's matrilineal cousins have stumbled upon the exotic link after taking saliva from the prince's relatives.
The link relates Prince William to partly-Indian housekeeper Eliza Kewark who used to work for Theodore Forbes, his four generation previous grandfather. Theodore was a merchant at Surat, Gujarat for the East India Company.
"William probably has a very small amount (of Indian DNA), maybe half a percent will be of South Asian heritage," said Jim Wilson, scientist at BritainsDNA, to CNN.
However, the Indian woman, Eliza Kewark is believed to be of mixed origin as her surname suggests an Armenian connection and her letters to Theodre were written in Armenian script. Scientists believe Eliza may have been Indian from her mother's side.
Wilson, who conducted the research, believes that Kewark was an Armenian living in Bombay.
Kewark's two living descendants were traced using birth records and certificates. A DNA test from the two, who are supposed to be Princess Diana's third cousins, corroborated the claims of the lineage.
"For me, it corroborated the findings from the mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA). We've got two different kinds of genetic evidence that are independent from one another and they both corroborate the story. So it really seems that our future king has a little bit of Indian blood," said Wilson.
However, the research also stated, "Princes William and Harry carry Eliza Kewark's markers but will not pass this Indian mtDNA onto their children, as mtDNA is only passed from mother to child."
On the other hand, some tests on William's cousin also revealed that they carry the Indian genome so there's a chance William could pass a slight bit to his posterior generation.
Prince William and wife Kate Middleton are expecting their first child this July.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report