Prince William Has Indian Link, Reveals DNA Test
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 15, 2013 11:04 PM EST
BritainsDNA, which carried out the test on late Princess Diana's matrilineal cousins have stumbled upon the exotic link after taking saliva from the prince's relatives.
The link relates Prince William to partly-Indian housekeeper Eliza Kewark who used to work for Theodore Forbes, his four generation previous grandfather. Theodore was a merchant at Surat, Gujarat for the East India Company.
"William probably has a very small amount (of Indian DNA), maybe half a percent will be of South Asian heritage," said Jim Wilson, scientist at BritainsDNA, to CNN.
However, the Indian woman, Eliza Kewark is believed to be of mixed origin as her surname suggests an Armenian connection and her letters to Theodre were written in Armenian script. Scientists believe Eliza may have been Indian from her mother's side.
Wilson, who conducted the research, believes that Kewark was an Armenian living in Bombay.
Kewark's two living descendants were traced using birth records and certificates. A DNA test from the two, who are supposed to be Princess Diana's third cousins, corroborated the claims of the lineage.
"For me, it corroborated the findings from the mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA). We've got two different kinds of genetic evidence that are independent from one another and they both corroborate the story. So it really seems that our future king has a little bit of Indian blood," said Wilson.
However, the research also stated, "Princes William and Harry carry Eliza Kewark's markers but will not pass this Indian mtDNA onto their children, as mtDNA is only passed from mother to child."
On the other hand, some tests on William's cousin also revealed that they carry the Indian genome so there's a chance William could pass a slight bit to his posterior generation.
Prince William and wife Kate Middleton are expecting their first child this July.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- 15-year-old's 'Impressive' Letter Adds To Online Support For Emma Watson
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate