NBA News: Brooklyn Nets Hire Jason Kidd As Head Coach; Brian Shaw And Doc Rivers Top Candidates For L.A. Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies, Denver Nuggets Coaching Search?
June 15, 2013 6:54 AM EST
As quickly as Jason Kidd retired from the NBA, he became the league’s newest head coach. The Brooklyn Nets hired the future Hall of Fame point guard to replace P.J. Carlesimo. Kidd becomes the first player to coach in the season following his retirement since Avery Johnson, who was fired by the Nets earlier this season.
With Brooklyn finished with their head coaching search, three playoff teams are still looking to fill the position. The Denver Nuggets, Los Angeles Clippers and Memphis Grizzlies all got rid of their coaches. George Karl was fired from Denver and Vinny Del Negro was let go by L.A. after disappointing first-round exits. Memphis decided not to bring back Lionel Hollins after his contract expired, despite leading the team to the Western Conference Finals.
Two names seem to be connected to each job opening. Brian Shaw became an assistant coach with the Indiana Pacers after spending several years on the Los Angeles Lakers bench, and Doc Rivers has led the Boston Celtics since 2004. However, both appear to be seeking employment elsewhere. Shaw wants to be a head coach for the first time in his career, and while Rivers is still under contract with the Celtics, ESPN’s Chris Broussard reports that the coach thinks it “may be time for a change.”
The Clippers are interested in both Shaw and Rivers. Boston’s head coach is, reportedly, their top choice. However, Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald reports that team president Danny Ainge has denied Los Angeles permission to speak with the former NBA champion. The Celtics want Rivers to return in 2013-2014, but could let him go if they receive ample compensation.
Denver might be the most likely spot for Shaw to begin his career as a head coach. According to Ken Berger of CBS Sports, the Nuggets No.1 priority is finding a coach with championship experience. Shaw has been to the NBA Finals several times as both a player and an assistant. He could also be a good fit with Denver because of their potential on defense with players like Kenneth Faried, Andre Iguodala and JaVale McGee.
Coming off a win in the first two rounds of the postseason, the Grizzlies are looking for a coach that can help them win a title next season. USA Today reports that Memphis would have interest in Rivers if he became available. Assistant coach Dave Joerger, though, is considered to be the leading candidate to replace Hollins.
The availability of Hollins could become an obstacle for Shaw or Rivers in trying to land a new job. In the last three seasons, he's won three playoff series, including upsets of the No.1 seed San Antonip Spurs in 2011 and Oklahoma City Thunder in 2013. He is on Denver’s list and is set to meet with Los Angeles, as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter