Lakers Trade And Free Agency Rumors 2013: Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe To Lakers In Sign-And-Trade With Clippers For Dwight Howard To Play With Chris Paul?
June 15, 2013 6:44 AM EST
In the summer of 2010, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh changed the NBA when they decided to team up with the Miami Heat. Since then, the Big Three have dominated the Eastern Conference, reaching the NBA Finals in every season together. Now, Dwight Howard and Chris Paul could be looking to form a similar dynasty in the West.
According to ESPN’s Chris Broussard, the two biggest free agents of the 2013 offseason could be looking to join forces. The report states that Howard and Paul have been in ongoing discussions about playing together next season. One source tells Broussard "they would love to play together if somebody can make it happen." Two years ago, the All-Stars discussed the possibility of signing with the Dallas Mavericks when they became free agents. Dallas, though, doesn’t have enough room under the salary cap to give Dirk Nowitzki two superstar teammates.
Both players are looking to sign max contracts this summer. The only team that can afford to sign two max players, under the rules of the salary cap, is the Atlanta Hawks. However, the two are, reportedly, not very interested in the idea of playing in Howard’s hometown.
The best chance of Paul and Howard becoming teammates might be in L.A. Despite being angry with the organization for the perceived notion that he forced Vinny Del Negro to be fired, Paul wants to remain with the Los Angeles Clippers. The Clippers won’t be able to sign Howard, so they’d have to execute a sign-and-trade with the Lakers.
The Clippers could be open to making a deal with their hometown rivals, but the Lakers might not be as willing. After trading for Howard a year ago, the Lakers are still looking to sign their center, and they may not want to help the team with whom they share a building. If Howard wants to change clubs, however, the Lakers wouldn’t be able to get a better package than what the Clippers could offer.
If Paul re-signs with the Clippers, a sign-and-trade of Howard for Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe could work out for both teams. The Lakers would be losing the best center in the NBA, but would arguably get better with the deal. They’d receive one of the best young stars in the league and could shift Pau Gasol to center. Bledsoe would give the Lakers the young guard that they desperately need with Steve Nash turning 40 next season and Kobe Bryant, possibly, on the verge of retirement.
Members of the Clippers front office seem to be split on the idea of including Griffin in any trade. Multiple sources have told Broussard that the power forward is untouchable, while others say the club has already had conversations about moving Griffin. At 24 years old, he was named to the All-NBA Second Team for the 2012-2013 season.
Griffin has been one of the top players in the league since he debuted three years ago, but it might be in the Clipper best interest to trade him. Towards the end of the season, rumors began to circulate that Griffin was unhappy with Paul. The two, reportedly, cleared the air towards the end of the regular season, but the team went on to be upset in the first round of the playoffs.
The most likely scenario has Howard returning to the Lakers and Paul staying with the Clippers. Each team is looking to re-sign their top free agents, and both stars can get the most money by staying put. If the Lakers are in danger of losing Howard for nothing, though, they could try to cover their bases and make sure not to lose him for nothing. Howard is, reportedly, very interested in signing with the Houston Rockets, and L.A. could get nothing in return for him he heads to Texas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge