Tornado Confirmed Near Baltimore Washington International Airport As Severe Weather Hits Maryland
June 14, 2013 7:17 AM EST
Maryland authorities have confirmed that tornadoes touched down near Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Columbia, Laurel and a few other parts of the Baltimore region on Thursday afternoon. They were associated with a line of storms that blew through around 4:15 p.m.
Tornado warnings have been issued for both Maryland and Virginia as a strong line of storms moves over the area.
Flights have been affected by the severe weather with Baltimore-Washington International (Thurgood Marshall) Airport and Ronald Reagan National Airport in Virginia ordering ground stops on Thursday morning, reports WRC-TV. Delays are also expected at Dulles International Airport in Virginia.
The swift-moving storms have brought high winds, hail, lighting and the threat of flash flooding throughout the region.
The storms are expected to affect the area into the late afternoon and evening.
Three tornadoes were confirmed by the weather service to have touched down in Maryland on Monday. They touched down in Fork, Baltimore and Coltons Point with a rating of EF-o.
Thursday's storm system also caused numerous tornadoes, hail and flooding in the Midwest. Massive power outages were also reported in the region, reports Weather.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation