Tornado Confirmed Near Baltimore Washington International Airport As Severe Weather Hits Maryland
June 14, 2013 7:17 AM EST
Maryland authorities have confirmed that tornadoes touched down near Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Columbia, Laurel and a few other parts of the Baltimore region on Thursday afternoon. They were associated with a line of storms that blew through around 4:15 p.m.
Tornado warnings have been issued for both Maryland and Virginia as a strong line of storms moves over the area.
Flights have been affected by the severe weather with Baltimore-Washington International (Thurgood Marshall) Airport and Ronald Reagan National Airport in Virginia ordering ground stops on Thursday morning, reports WRC-TV. Delays are also expected at Dulles International Airport in Virginia.
The swift-moving storms have brought high winds, hail, lighting and the threat of flash flooding throughout the region.
The storms are expected to affect the area into the late afternoon and evening.
Three tornadoes were confirmed by the weather service to have touched down in Maryland on Monday. They touched down in Fork, Baltimore and Coltons Point with a rating of EF-o.
Thursday's storm system also caused numerous tornadoes, hail and flooding in the Midwest. Massive power outages were also reported in the region, reports Weather.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase