Tornado Confirmed Near Baltimore Washington International Airport As Severe Weather Hits Maryland
June 14, 2013 7:17 AM EST
Maryland authorities have confirmed that tornadoes touched down near Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Columbia, Laurel and a few other parts of the Baltimore region on Thursday afternoon. They were associated with a line of storms that blew through around 4:15 p.m.
Tornado warnings have been issued for both Maryland and Virginia as a strong line of storms moves over the area.
Flights have been affected by the severe weather with Baltimore-Washington International (Thurgood Marshall) Airport and Ronald Reagan National Airport in Virginia ordering ground stops on Thursday morning, reports WRC-TV. Delays are also expected at Dulles International Airport in Virginia.
The swift-moving storms have brought high winds, hail, lighting and the threat of flash flooding throughout the region.
The storms are expected to affect the area into the late afternoon and evening.
Three tornadoes were confirmed by the weather service to have touched down in Maryland on Monday. They touched down in Fork, Baltimore and Coltons Point with a rating of EF-o.
Thursday's storm system also caused numerous tornadoes, hail and flooding in the Midwest. Massive power outages were also reported in the region, reports Weather.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy