Tornado Confirmed Near Baltimore Washington International Airport As Severe Weather Hits Maryland
June 14, 2013 7:17 AM EST
Maryland authorities have confirmed that tornadoes touched down near Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Columbia, Laurel and a few other parts of the Baltimore region on Thursday afternoon. They were associated with a line of storms that blew through around 4:15 p.m.
Tornado warnings have been issued for both Maryland and Virginia as a strong line of storms moves over the area.
Flights have been affected by the severe weather with Baltimore-Washington International (Thurgood Marshall) Airport and Ronald Reagan National Airport in Virginia ordering ground stops on Thursday morning, reports WRC-TV. Delays are also expected at Dulles International Airport in Virginia.
The swift-moving storms have brought high winds, hail, lighting and the threat of flash flooding throughout the region.
The storms are expected to affect the area into the late afternoon and evening.
Three tornadoes were confirmed by the weather service to have touched down in Maryland on Monday. They touched down in Fork, Baltimore and Coltons Point with a rating of EF-o.
Thursday's storm system also caused numerous tornadoes, hail and flooding in the Midwest. Massive power outages were also reported in the region, reports Weather.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports