Tornado Confirmed Near Baltimore Washington International Airport As Severe Weather Hits Maryland
June 14, 2013 7:17 AM EST
Maryland authorities have confirmed that tornadoes touched down near Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Columbia, Laurel and a few other parts of the Baltimore region on Thursday afternoon. They were associated with a line of storms that blew through around 4:15 p.m.
Tornado warnings have been issued for both Maryland and Virginia as a strong line of storms moves over the area.
Flights have been affected by the severe weather with Baltimore-Washington International (Thurgood Marshall) Airport and Ronald Reagan National Airport in Virginia ordering ground stops on Thursday morning, reports WRC-TV. Delays are also expected at Dulles International Airport in Virginia.
The swift-moving storms have brought high winds, hail, lighting and the threat of flash flooding throughout the region.
The storms are expected to affect the area into the late afternoon and evening.
Three tornadoes were confirmed by the weather service to have touched down in Maryland on Monday. They touched down in Fork, Baltimore and Coltons Point with a rating of EF-o.
Thursday's storm system also caused numerous tornadoes, hail and flooding in the Midwest. Massive power outages were also reported in the region, reports Weather.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More