US Census Bureau Says Whites Headed To Minority Status Sooner Than Previously Estimated
June 14, 2013 5:37 AM EST
Whites will become the minority population in the US even sooner that previously estimated, according to updated figures from the Census Bureau.
The Census agency now says that non-whites make up about half, 49.9 percent, of the toddler population and will tip to majority sometime this year or early next year. The agency announced Thursday that not only do non-white infants already outnumber white infants, which it reported in 2012, but for the first time in history the United States has as many non-white children under the age of five years as it has white ones.
Equally imminent is the bureau's calculation that in the next five years, the non-white population will equal the white population among people younger than 18 and non whites will make up a majority of Americans by 2043, considerably earlier than the 2050 date the agency previously held.
The new numbers are in the annual population estimates and reflect changes between July 1, 2011, and July 1, 2012. Additional figures show that more whites died last year than were born, which is a natural decline and previously projected but still reflects significantly changing demographics. Also, six more counties (Mecklenburg County, N.C.; Cherokee County, Okla.; Texas County, Okla.; Bell County, Texas; Hockley County, Texas; and Terrell County, Texas) became what they bureau refers to as "majority minority" in the timeframe studied.
The groups that are growing at the fastest percentage rates are multiracial Americans, followed by Asian Americans and Hispanic Americans. The Asian population increased by 2.9 percent between July 1, 2011, and July 1, 2012 while the Hispanic population, despite being a much larger group, increased by 2.2 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June