No End In Sight For Pummeled Spanish Housing Market; Prices Fall At A Record Pace In Q1
June 13, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Spanish home prices plummeted 14.3 percent in the first quarter compared to the same quarter last year, the biggest drop since Madrid began tracking quarterly home prices in 2007, according to stats released Thursday by the National Statistics Institute.
Prices fell 6.6 percent from the last three months of 2012, showing that Spain isn’t even close to rebounding as banks continue to eschew lending to the few borrowers in Spain willing to take out home loans right now.
Home prices have fell 40 percent since the start of the European sovereign debt crisis. Spanish banks were forced to write off billions of euros of bad loans when the country’s’ real estate market crashed.
La Sociedad de Gestión de Activos procedentes de la Reestructuración Bancaria, or Sareb, was created earlier this year to hold the assets of four nationalized banks as part of the ordered restructuring of the country’s financial institutions. It wants to sell €1.5 billion in ($2 billion) in homes this year, but has failed to make much progress.
Read the full report here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Lamudi’s Top 5 Tourist Close-To-Nature Destinations In The Philippines
- 3 Key Changes The Real Estate Industry Is Expecting With ASEAN Integration In 2015
- $2B Lease By American Investor On Philippine Island For 25 Years
- Australia Second Highest Overpriced in World in Housing Prices
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage