No End In Sight For Pummeled Spanish Housing Market; Prices Fall At A Record Pace In Q1
June 13, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Spanish home prices plummeted 14.3 percent in the first quarter compared to the same quarter last year, the biggest drop since Madrid began tracking quarterly home prices in 2007, according to stats released Thursday by the National Statistics Institute.
Prices fell 6.6 percent from the last three months of 2012, showing that Spain isn’t even close to rebounding as banks continue to eschew lending to the few borrowers in Spain willing to take out home loans right now.
Home prices have fell 40 percent since the start of the European sovereign debt crisis. Spanish banks were forced to write off billions of euros of bad loans when the country’s’ real estate market crashed.
La Sociedad de Gestión de Activos procedentes de la Reestructuración Bancaria, or Sareb, was created earlier this year to hold the assets of four nationalized banks as part of the ordered restructuring of the country’s financial institutions. It wants to sell €1.5 billion in ($2 billion) in homes this year, but has failed to make much progress.
Read the full report here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- $2B Lease By American Investor On Philippine Island For 25 Years
- Australia Second Highest Overpriced in World in Housing Prices
- France, Germany Lead Europe's Commercial Real Estate Market
- New Crowdfunding Firm Focuses on Alternative Mortgage Financing
- Real Estate Investing Is ‘All Local,’ Says Canadian Portfolio Manager
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?