No End In Sight For Pummeled Spanish Housing Market; Prices Fall At A Record Pace In Q1
June 13, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Spanish home prices plummeted 14.3 percent in the first quarter compared to the same quarter last year, the biggest drop since Madrid began tracking quarterly home prices in 2007, according to stats released Thursday by the National Statistics Institute.
Prices fell 6.6 percent from the last three months of 2012, showing that Spain isn’t even close to rebounding as banks continue to eschew lending to the few borrowers in Spain willing to take out home loans right now.
Home prices have fell 40 percent since the start of the European sovereign debt crisis. Spanish banks were forced to write off billions of euros of bad loans when the country’s’ real estate market crashed.
La Sociedad de Gestión de Activos procedentes de la Reestructuración Bancaria, or Sareb, was created earlier this year to hold the assets of four nationalized banks as part of the ordered restructuring of the country’s financial institutions. It wants to sell €1.5 billion in ($2 billion) in homes this year, but has failed to make much progress.
Read the full report here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- U.S. Housing Starts Data in July Turns Around Lackluster Real Estate Growth
- Three U.S. Federal Agencies Cooperate for More Housing Choices
- Canada Developers Have a Taste for U.S. Hotspots
- Zillow to Acquire Web Real Estate Site Trulia
- China’s Wealthiest Man to Spend $1.7B on Australians Beachfront Resort on Gold Coast
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter