No End In Sight For Pummeled Spanish Housing Market; Prices Fall At A Record Pace In Q1
June 13, 2013 9:43 PM EST
Spanish home prices plummeted 14.3 percent in the first quarter compared to the same quarter last year, the biggest drop since Madrid began tracking quarterly home prices in 2007, according to stats released Thursday by the National Statistics Institute.
Prices fell 6.6 percent from the last three months of 2012, showing that Spain isn’t even close to rebounding as banks continue to eschew lending to the few borrowers in Spain willing to take out home loans right now.
Home prices have fell 40 percent since the start of the European sovereign debt crisis. Spanish banks were forced to write off billions of euros of bad loans when the country’s’ real estate market crashed.
La Sociedad de Gestión de Activos procedentes de la Reestructuración Bancaria, or Sareb, was created earlier this year to hold the assets of four nationalized banks as part of the ordered restructuring of the country’s financial institutions. It wants to sell €1.5 billion in ($2 billion) in homes this year, but has failed to make much progress.
Read the full report here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- New Zealand Minister Announces Web Site for Scrapping Outdated Rules
- Ellen DeGeneres Earns $15M Profit in $55M LA Mansion Sales to Sean Parker
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools