F1 2013: Hamilton Still Aiming For Title With Mercedes
By Vanessa Keller | June 13, 2013 2:11 AM EST
Lewis Hamilton insists that the race for the championship is not over yet, despite Mercedes being convincingly beaten by Red Bull in the Canadian Grand Prix.
Sebastian Vettel is now 36 points ahead of the competition going into Britain for the next race, and was in devastating form in Montreal, leaving Fernando Alonso and Hamilton to fight for second place as he dominated the course from start to finish.
The Briton is now 55 points behind Vettel in the standings, and with Silverstone presenting tough turns which will test each team's tyres to the maximum, Hamilton admits he doesn't stand much chance against the German in this particular race.
"I didn't leave Montreal thinking I'm going to Silverstone with the possibility of winning," Hamilton explained, according to Sky Sports. "Vettel was pulling away from me at a second per lap in Montreal.
"We're not going to gain a second before the next race. But we can definitely beat the rest."
But Hamilton refused to rule out overtaking his rival in the standings, saying: "As for the championship there are still 12 races left. It's not impossible. But we need to make another big step with the car."
Mercedes are currently being investigated for possible illegal testing on their tyre program, and the area has caused a lot of difficulties over the season, with both Hamilton and Nico Rosberg suffering problems during qualification and races as a result.
Ferrari and Red Bull look to be the teams to beat at the moment, but Hamilton insisted that he is continuing to push Mercedes to keep up to speed with their competition.
"Things on the Ferrari and Red Bull, and I'll say: 'Why haven't we got that?' And they'll say: 'We're testing that in three weeks.' And I'll say: 'Why not test it now?' I always try to keep pushing the guys."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown