F1 2013: Hamilton Still Aiming For Title With Mercedes
By Vanessa Keller | June 13, 2013 2:11 AM EST
Lewis Hamilton insists that the race for the championship is not over yet, despite Mercedes being convincingly beaten by Red Bull in the Canadian Grand Prix.
Sebastian Vettel is now 36 points ahead of the competition going into Britain for the next race, and was in devastating form in Montreal, leaving Fernando Alonso and Hamilton to fight for second place as he dominated the course from start to finish.
The Briton is now 55 points behind Vettel in the standings, and with Silverstone presenting tough turns which will test each team's tyres to the maximum, Hamilton admits he doesn't stand much chance against the German in this particular race.
"I didn't leave Montreal thinking I'm going to Silverstone with the possibility of winning," Hamilton explained, according to Sky Sports. "Vettel was pulling away from me at a second per lap in Montreal.
"We're not going to gain a second before the next race. But we can definitely beat the rest."
But Hamilton refused to rule out overtaking his rival in the standings, saying: "As for the championship there are still 12 races left. It's not impossible. But we need to make another big step with the car."
Mercedes are currently being investigated for possible illegal testing on their tyre program, and the area has caused a lot of difficulties over the season, with both Hamilton and Nico Rosberg suffering problems during qualification and races as a result.
Ferrari and Red Bull look to be the teams to beat at the moment, but Hamilton insisted that he is continuing to push Mercedes to keep up to speed with their competition.
"Things on the Ferrari and Red Bull, and I'll say: 'Why haven't we got that?' And they'll say: 'We're testing that in three weeks.' And I'll say: 'Why not test it now?' I always try to keep pushing the guys."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar