Offenders in Russia Who Insult Religious Feelings Face Jail Time
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 12, 2013 3:20 PM EST
Offenders who insult religious feelings in Russia will not only get a verbal backlash but could also end up serving jail time by up to three years. If passed by the Upper House and signed by Russian President Vladimir Putin, Russia's Duma expects it to become a law in July.
Spurred by a stunt by feminist punk band Pussy Riot in Moscow's main Christ our Savior Cathedral in February 2012, the bill stipulated that "public actions expressing clear disrespect for society and committed with the goal of offending religious feelings of the faithful" would be punishable with jail terms of up to three years in prison as well as fines of up to AU$9700.
Three of the seven-member band were apprehended. Each were given two years jail time for aggravated hooliganism. One of the convicted has already been released on probation while the two others, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina, remain jailed.
Public desecration of religious objects or books are also punishable by fines of up to AU$6500.
Offenders will also be required compulsory correctional labor. They could also be deprived the right to hold certain positions or engage in certain activities for a term of up to two years.
"People who practice traditional forms of religion constantly face threats of various kinds. This includes the stunts by the Pussy Riot group, this includes the cemetery vandalism, and this also includes attempts on lives of spiritual leaders," Mikhail Markelov, deputy head of the Lower House Committee for Religious Organizations, earlier told reporters.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Police Find Miss Honduras & Sister’s Dead Bodies Near River; Sister’s BF Being Questioned
- Jealousy Behind Shooting Of Miss Honduras & Sister, BF Confesses
- Killer Even Joined Search For Beauty Queen & Sister, Uncle Reveals; Honduras Won’t Send Replacement Candidate To Miss World
- Gunman Wounds 3 Students In Florida State University Shooting
- A Tale Of 2 Underwear Thieves From Australia & Alaska
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots