Ex-Journey Singer Steve Perry Writes About Skin Cancer Scare, Losing Girlfriend To Breast Cancer
June 12, 2013 8:57 AM EST
Former Journey frontman Steve Perry announced he has been diagnosed with melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer, and that he has undergone two apparently successful surgeries to fight the disease.
“Three weeks ago a routine mole was taken off my face and the lab report came back melanoma skin cancer. I've had two surgeries in two weeks to remove all the cancer cells and I've been told they think they got it all and no other treatments are required,” Perry revealed in a blog post.
In the same post, the “Don’t Stop Believin’” singer wrote about his grief for the loss of his girlfriend, Kellie Nash, who died from breast cancer that eventually spread to her brain.
“She was so strong, so courageous and we really loved each other so very much. I've been trying to grieve and not run from this loss so for the last 5 months that's what I've been doing along with recalling everything being in Love with Kellie taught me,” Perry wrote.
Perry, 64, pursued Nash in 2011 after seeing her cameo appearance in “Five,” an anthology of five short films underlining the impact of breast cancer. The singer asked a mutual friend to make an email introduction, who informed Perry that Nash, a psychologist who had been in remission for the previous eight months, was again battling cancer that had spread to her lungs and bones.
“I was frozen … I didn’t know what to do… I had lost my mom, dad, grandparents that raised me and I was an only child so my first thought was to maybe not send the email; then my heart said, Maybe we could be friends or maybe she could be my shrink. So I said, ‘Please send it,’” said Perry.
The two met and eventually fell in love, becoming inseparable until her death in mid-December.
“She helped me in so many ways,” Perry wrote. “I Love and miss her terribly”.
Perry, of course, is noted for his two stints as the lead singer of soft-rock titans Journey, in 1977-1987 and 1995-1998. The famously reclusive vocalist has not released a solo album since “For the Love of Strange Medicine” in 1994. However, that may change, as he told Billboard last year that he planned on getting back into the studio soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports