iPhone 5S Release Date Not Happening; Apple to Launch 4.8-inch iPhone 6?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | June 12, 2013 8:52 AM EST
Glen Yeung from Citi Research told CNET that he expects the handset to be released with that screen size in early 2014. Yeung went on to claim that the widely-rumoured iPhone 5S "has been delayed by two to four weeks", and said he is unsure about whether Apple can meet a September launch. Thus, another reason for dropping the whole idea.
Moreover, reports claimed that there is a big chance that Apple will drop iPhone 5S and break the tradition of releasing "Plan B" phones.
Stabley Times' Will Stabley points to reasons why this may actually happen. He says there are enough indications that Apple will indeed break tradition this year.
In 2008, Apple dumped its rubber and metal iPhone and went to the plastic 3G iPhone in 2008. The company used the same design again the third year, and Apple fans took that as an indication that the next design was behind schedule. Then we had the iPhone 4, and Stabley says the iPhone 4S was simply another delay before we received the iPhone 5, which was delayed.
He said that Apple has been trying to get rid of the S schedule for years and release phones with high end upgrades, which he believes means that there will be an iPhone 6 this year rather than next.
However, a series of leaked photos of the alleged iPhone 5S claimed otherwise. The iPhone 5S is reported to have the same screen size as that of the current iPhone 5. The Chinese micro-blogging site Weibo shows off what it claims is an iPhone 6 or 5S front panel which looks very similar to that of the iPhone 5 although the sensors have been rearranged. The French site Nowhereelse published the photos as well.
Rumour has it that the next iPhone will feature Retina or IGZO screen display, A7 quad core chip processor, iOS 7, 128GB internal storage, 13 mega-pixel camera, and longer battery life. The lack of NFC support on the iPhone 5 was one of the biggest criticisms aimed at Apple's smartphone.
Meanwhile, the cheaper iPhone 5S is rumoured to sport a plastic casing, 4-inch screen display, dual core processor and 8-megapixel camera.
It is initially reported that the new iPhones will be launched in June along with the upgraded iOS. However, other reports stated that the devices will make its debut in September.
The Apple chief Tim Cook also dropped several hints that the upcoming iPhone 6 and 5S will be released later this year. Cook said that no new products are to launch before the end of the year.
However, the Cupertino-based tech company did not give an official statement on the rumours surrounding iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More