Worst Charities: The "Non Profits" That Spend Most Of Their Money On Fundraising
June 11, 2013 2:29 AM EST
How much of the money that charities raise actually goes towards charitable activities? While there are plenty of charities that do what they’re supposed to--help people that need it, fund research, etc.--there are many others are
According to a yearlong investigation by the Tampa Bay Times* and the Center for Investigative reporting, there are around 6,000 charities that hire for-profit corporations to raise money, and end up spending far too little on actual charitable activities. The nation’s 50 worst charities, as ranked by the Times and CIR, have paid corporate solicitors nearly $1 billion over ten years.
A good, highly efficient, charitable organization usually spends about 75 percent of the money that they raise on charitable programs, and the remaining 25 percent on general administration and fundraising, according to the American Institute of Philanthropy. At the lowest end of the “acceptable” spectrum are charities that spend 60 percent on charitable programs, and the remaining 40 percent on general administration and fundraising.
The Kids Wish Network, the worst charity on the Times’ and CIR’s list, has paid nearly $110 million to corporate solicitors and another $4.8 million to its founder and his own consulting firms. Only about $3.2 million of the total $127.8 billion raised by the charity has gone towards helping the dying children the Kids Wish Network is supposed to help.
According to Melissa Schwartz, a crisis management specialist hired by the Kids Wish Network, the charity hired outside companies to raise funds so that its staff can focus on wish-granting, reported the Times’.
Second on the list, with more than $80 million paid to corporate solicitors over ten years, is Cancer Fund of America. CFA’s founder James T. Reynolds, when asked about his charity’s fundraising expenses, told the Times’ that he intended to reduce his charity’s high fundraising costs.
Number three, with $63.6 million paid to outside fundraisers, was the Children’s Wish Foundation International. Linda Dozoretz, who founded the organization with her late husband in 1985, told the Times that telemarketing has helped the charity find the children in need of its help.
Fourth on the list was the American Breast Cancer Foundation, with $59.8 million paid to corporate solicitors. Its founder, Phyllis Wolf had hired a telemarketing company run by her son, Joseph Wolf, to whom the charity paid nearly 75 percent of all the money raised. In June 2010, after negative publicity about charity’s contract with the telemarketing company, the board forced Phyllis Wolf to resign and terminated the contract with her son, reported the Times’. The charity has since changed leadership and is dedicating far more money towards supporting breast cancer patients than before.
The fifth organization on the list is the Firefighters Charitable Foundation, which paid $54.7 million to professional fundraisers. The charity’s founder, Louis Pelico, resigned in 2006, after repeated unsuccessful attempts to reduce fundraising costs. The organization’s current president, Frank Tepedino took over from Pelico saying that he would bring costs down. Today, the charity spends 90 cents on the dollar in fundraising expenses, according to the Times’.
Note: All mentions of the Times’ in this story refers to the Tampa Bay Times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More