Connecticut Casino Waitresses Fight Shoe Rules, Push For Freedom To Wear Comfortable Shoes
June 10, 2013 9:31 PM EST
A union representing cocktail waitresses is fighting the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, Conn., for the right to wear shoes of their own choosing.
The waitresses complain that wearing high heels for long hours has resulted in health issues requiring frequent visits to chiropractors and podiatrists to treat inflammation.
A good number of these waitresses have worked in the casino since it opened in 1992, and they believe that the policy making it mandatory to wear high heels is a bid to push the older staff out and make way for younger workers.
"Most of us girls have been here for 20 years, 15 years. This job has really done a number on our feet and they know it," Cheryl Haase, a 52-year-old waitress told Associated Press.
Foxwoods recently gave up on a policy insisting that waitresses wear two-inch heels, but the casino still wants its servers to wear polishable black shoes, subject to approval by management, according to union members cited by AP.
Waitresses could be exempt from this policy for about a year if they produce a doctor’s certificate. But the pitfall of the deal, union members said, is that they would have to resign or take up another position.
According to the AP report, the high-heels rule is one among the many issues set for arbitration between the casino, a property in Connecticut owned and operated by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation, and Local 371 of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, which represents about 365 Foxwoods workers including 200 beverage servers.
Dale Wolbrink, a Foxwoods spokeswoman, told the agency that she would not comment on labor negotiations as they are considered private.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell