Connecticut Casino Waitresses Fight Shoe Rules, Push For Freedom To Wear Comfortable Shoes
June 10, 2013 9:31 PM EST
A union representing cocktail waitresses is fighting the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, Conn., for the right to wear shoes of their own choosing.
The waitresses complain that wearing high heels for long hours has resulted in health issues requiring frequent visits to chiropractors and podiatrists to treat inflammation.
A good number of these waitresses have worked in the casino since it opened in 1992, and they believe that the policy making it mandatory to wear high heels is a bid to push the older staff out and make way for younger workers.
"Most of us girls have been here for 20 years, 15 years. This job has really done a number on our feet and they know it," Cheryl Haase, a 52-year-old waitress told Associated Press.
Foxwoods recently gave up on a policy insisting that waitresses wear two-inch heels, but the casino still wants its servers to wear polishable black shoes, subject to approval by management, according to union members cited by AP.
Waitresses could be exempt from this policy for about a year if they produce a doctor’s certificate. But the pitfall of the deal, union members said, is that they would have to resign or take up another position.
According to the AP report, the high-heels rule is one among the many issues set for arbitration between the casino, a property in Connecticut owned and operated by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation, and Local 371 of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, which represents about 365 Foxwoods workers including 200 beverage servers.
Dale Wolbrink, a Foxwoods spokeswoman, told the agency that she would not comment on labor negotiations as they are considered private.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date