NBA Trade Rumors: Orland Magic To Trade No. 2 Pick? Several Teams Interested?
June 9, 2013 2:05 AM EST
The Orlando Magic had the good fortune to land the No. 2 overall pick in the upcoming NBA Draft, and now the team still reeling from Dwight Howard’s departure is looking to move down the draft.
According to Orlando Sentinel beat writer Brian K. Schmitz, several teams are interested in trading with the Magic for their selection.
Schmitz tweeted early Saturday: “Source tells me Magic considering moving down in draft and have ‘quite a few’ suitors interested in trading for No. 2 pick.”
The club needs help at practically every position, but it was reported Orlando was most interesting in sprucing up its backcourt with either Michigan point guard Trey Burke, Indiana’s Victor Oladipo, or lanky and athletic Kansas shooter Ben McLemore.
Earning first-team All-Big-12 in his freshman season, many have compared McLemore’s game to future Hall of Famer Ray Allen. Burke led the Wolverines to the national championship game and was the Naismith Player of the Year, and Oladipo’s athleticism and defensive prowess should help any burgeoning team right away.
Charlotte, Phoenix, and New Orleans hold the No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6 picks, respectively, and all three could use the services of McLemore or Oladipo.
Orlando finished with the worst record in the league at 20-62 this year after sending franchise center Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers last summer. It was the first time Orlando posted a sub-.500 record since 2006, Howard’s second year in the league.
Lacking a consistent go-to scorer and any semblance of a defense, Orlando finished 24th in points scored and allowed and were 29th in three-point shooting last season.
The Magic could be assuming that the Cleveland Cavaliers will take Kentucky center Nerlens Noel, the consensus best prospect in this year’s draft, with the top overall selection. However the Cavs have stated publicly they are also entertaining offers for their pick.
Orlando could then move down and perhaps select Burke, and gain another pick later in the draft. Veteran point guard Jameer Nelson has spent his entire nine-year career in Orlando, but Burke’s court vision, scoring ability, and overall potential could be enough for the Magic to move away from Nelson.
It is believed several big men like Maryland seven-footer Alex Len or Indiana power forward Cody Zeller will be available later in the lottery, and both could provide Orlando with youth and size down low.
Any rookie contracts won’t hurt the Magic and general manager Rob Hennigan’s salary cap much. With only $21 million in contracts committed to the 2014-15 payroll, Orlando should be major players in free agency in the summer of 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales