NBA Trade Rumors: Orland Magic To Trade No. 2 Pick? Several Teams Interested?
June 9, 2013 2:05 AM EST
The Orlando Magic had the good fortune to land the No. 2 overall pick in the upcoming NBA Draft, and now the team still reeling from Dwight Howard’s departure is looking to move down the draft.
According to Orlando Sentinel beat writer Brian K. Schmitz, several teams are interested in trading with the Magic for their selection.
Schmitz tweeted early Saturday: “Source tells me Magic considering moving down in draft and have ‘quite a few’ suitors interested in trading for No. 2 pick.”
The club needs help at practically every position, but it was reported Orlando was most interesting in sprucing up its backcourt with either Michigan point guard Trey Burke, Indiana’s Victor Oladipo, or lanky and athletic Kansas shooter Ben McLemore.
Earning first-team All-Big-12 in his freshman season, many have compared McLemore’s game to future Hall of Famer Ray Allen. Burke led the Wolverines to the national championship game and was the Naismith Player of the Year, and Oladipo’s athleticism and defensive prowess should help any burgeoning team right away.
Charlotte, Phoenix, and New Orleans hold the No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6 picks, respectively, and all three could use the services of McLemore or Oladipo.
Orlando finished with the worst record in the league at 20-62 this year after sending franchise center Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers last summer. It was the first time Orlando posted a sub-.500 record since 2006, Howard’s second year in the league.
Lacking a consistent go-to scorer and any semblance of a defense, Orlando finished 24th in points scored and allowed and were 29th in three-point shooting last season.
The Magic could be assuming that the Cleveland Cavaliers will take Kentucky center Nerlens Noel, the consensus best prospect in this year’s draft, with the top overall selection. However the Cavs have stated publicly they are also entertaining offers for their pick.
Orlando could then move down and perhaps select Burke, and gain another pick later in the draft. Veteran point guard Jameer Nelson has spent his entire nine-year career in Orlando, but Burke’s court vision, scoring ability, and overall potential could be enough for the Magic to move away from Nelson.
It is believed several big men like Maryland seven-footer Alex Len or Indiana power forward Cody Zeller will be available later in the lottery, and both could provide Orlando with youth and size down low.
Any rookie contracts won’t hurt the Magic and general manager Rob Hennigan’s salary cap much. With only $21 million in contracts committed to the 2014-15 payroll, Orlando should be major players in free agency in the summer of 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia