RVP Admits he Wanted Sir Alex Ferguson to Re-Consider Retirement
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 6, 2013 9:48 PM EST
Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has revealed he wanted Sir Alex Ferguson to remain in charge at Old Trafford. The 71-year-old Scot resigned from his post at the Premier League champions at the close of the 2012/13 season, bringing an end to a 26-year reign that yielded 38 trophies. United will now be led by Everton manager David Moyes, who assumes charge on 1 July.
"I'd have preferred it if he'd stayed a few more years but I understand his decision. I'm even prouder that I could work under him for a year. I could see he was a legendary man. If you saw how we worked every day. How we studied the opponents and the way they played. How we prepared," the former Arsenal captain said.
"Every day we did extra work and watched videos. Every small step eventually delivered the championship. I think that the route to the title was nicer than the winning itself," van Persie added.
The 29-year-old was the subject of an operatic transfer saga last summer, when he moved from Arsenal to United for £24m. And claims that he moved to win trophies were vindicated this year, with his first ever Premier League winner's medal.
"I have a feeling we can do much more and that we can win many more trophies. I've had a year to work with everyone and now the whole coaching staff is changing which makes it a new challenge. I've got to know the players through and through and I've a feeling they have a lot more in them," the former Feyenoord youngster explained.
Finally, van Persie also admitted his transfer from Arsenal could have been cancelled at the last minute.
"It was [difficult] because it wasn't only me who decided where I went to play. I also depended on my former club as well and how they saw it. And then of course you always have these games that the directors play. I was just about to play with Holland. There are no phones allowed but I just kept it on me just in case. When I heard a small buzz, I looked at it and saw a text from my agent that read, 'The deal is done, enjoy the game," he explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports