RVP Admits he Wanted Sir Alex Ferguson to Re-Consider Retirement
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 6, 2013 9:48 PM EST
Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has revealed he wanted Sir Alex Ferguson to remain in charge at Old Trafford. The 71-year-old Scot resigned from his post at the Premier League champions at the close of the 2012/13 season, bringing an end to a 26-year reign that yielded 38 trophies. United will now be led by Everton manager David Moyes, who assumes charge on 1 July.
"I'd have preferred it if he'd stayed a few more years but I understand his decision. I'm even prouder that I could work under him for a year. I could see he was a legendary man. If you saw how we worked every day. How we studied the opponents and the way they played. How we prepared," the former Arsenal captain said.
"Every day we did extra work and watched videos. Every small step eventually delivered the championship. I think that the route to the title was nicer than the winning itself," van Persie added.
The 29-year-old was the subject of an operatic transfer saga last summer, when he moved from Arsenal to United for £24m. And claims that he moved to win trophies were vindicated this year, with his first ever Premier League winner's medal.
"I have a feeling we can do much more and that we can win many more trophies. I've had a year to work with everyone and now the whole coaching staff is changing which makes it a new challenge. I've got to know the players through and through and I've a feeling they have a lot more in them," the former Feyenoord youngster explained.
Finally, van Persie also admitted his transfer from Arsenal could have been cancelled at the last minute.
"It was [difficult] because it wasn't only me who decided where I went to play. I also depended on my former club as well and how they saw it. And then of course you always have these games that the directors play. I was just about to play with Holland. There are no phones allowed but I just kept it on me just in case. When I heard a small buzz, I looked at it and saw a text from my agent that read, 'The deal is done, enjoy the game," he explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date