Vengeful Intent: LeBron Seeks Payback vs. Spurs
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 6, 2013 5:20 PM EST
LeBron James said he hasn't forgotten the embarrassment he suffered at the hands of the San Antonio Spurs in the 2007 NBA Finals. Now playing with the Miami Heat, the four-time MVP is out to avenge his loss against the same band of guys that broke his heart six years ago.
"I have something in me that they took in '07; beat us on our home floor, celebrated on our home floor," James told ESPN during Wednesday's press conference. "I won't forget that. You shouldn't as a competitor. You should never forget that."
The Spurs, who's playing for their fifth NBA title in franchise history, pulled off one of the most lopsided victories in finals history when Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker pummeled James and his Cavaliers in four games in 2007.
"It's the same group of guys, for the most part. The same Big Three, and Coach [Gregg] Pop[ovich]. And I look forward to the challenge once again," added James, who averaged 26.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and 6.4 assists in the postseason.
In four games, the Spurs stymied the Cavaliers offense by simply shutting down one man: James. Spurs head coach Popovic deployed a horde of pesky defenders such as Robert Horry, Michael Finley and Bruce Bowen to keep James out of his comfort zone.
James shot 36 per cent from the field throughout the series as the Spurs completely closed all driving lane and forced him to be a jump-shooting player.
Since then, James' jumpshooting has improved dramatically over the year and he become an efficient scorer.
Tim Duncan, who played a crucial role in the Spurs' beatdown on the Cavs, understands James' eagerness to avenge that painful loss.
"I have to imagine he does [have revenge on his mind]," Spurs star Tim Duncan said. "He's a competitor, I can't imagine he's forgotten that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone