Vengeful Intent: LeBron Seeks Payback vs. Spurs
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 6, 2013 5:20 PM EST
LeBron James said he hasn't forgotten the embarrassment he suffered at the hands of the San Antonio Spurs in the 2007 NBA Finals. Now playing with the Miami Heat, the four-time MVP is out to avenge his loss against the same band of guys that broke his heart six years ago.
"I have something in me that they took in '07; beat us on our home floor, celebrated on our home floor," James told ESPN during Wednesday's press conference. "I won't forget that. You shouldn't as a competitor. You should never forget that."
The Spurs, who's playing for their fifth NBA title in franchise history, pulled off one of the most lopsided victories in finals history when Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker pummeled James and his Cavaliers in four games in 2007.
"It's the same group of guys, for the most part. The same Big Three, and Coach [Gregg] Pop[ovich]. And I look forward to the challenge once again," added James, who averaged 26.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and 6.4 assists in the postseason.
In four games, the Spurs stymied the Cavaliers offense by simply shutting down one man: James. Spurs head coach Popovic deployed a horde of pesky defenders such as Robert Horry, Michael Finley and Bruce Bowen to keep James out of his comfort zone.
James shot 36 per cent from the field throughout the series as the Spurs completely closed all driving lane and forced him to be a jump-shooting player.
Since then, James' jumpshooting has improved dramatically over the year and he become an efficient scorer.
Tim Duncan, who played a crucial role in the Spurs' beatdown on the Cavs, understands James' eagerness to avenge that painful loss.
"I have to imagine he does [have revenge on his mind]," Spurs star Tim Duncan said. "He's a competitor, I can't imagine he's forgotten that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown