Former Navy SEAL Member Shares Sex Change Journey in Warrior Princess Memoir (VIDEO & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 6, 2013 5:09 PM EST
Chris Beck's transformation from a decorated U.S. Navy SEAL member to a woman, now known as Kristin Beck, is retold in her memoir titled Warrior Princess: A US Navy SEAL's Journey to Coming Out Transgender, an eBook published on Saturday.
It comes at a time that same-sex marriages, gender reassignment and public outing of celebrities are hitting the headlines in different parts of the world.
The memoir was published two years after the U.S. Congress repealed a ban on openly gay soldiers, prompting Beck to dedicate the book to people who are afraid to declare themselves as transgender.
What makes the memoir standout from other coming out stories is that Beck was not an ordinary male, but was a decorated soldier who used to be part of the elite Team 6 that captured Osama bin Laden in Pakistan in 2011, although by then he had retired from service.
As Chris Beck, he served 20 years in the military, going through 20 deployments, seven of which were combat deployments. Through these years, he had suffered from inner turmoil because of his gender preference.
"[Beck] had considered living as the woman he felt himself to be for a very long time, but while he was serving as a SEAL, he couldn't do it," she wrote.
While he suppressed urges to genuinely express his true sexuality, Beck lived basically an asexual life while in the service where he was awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star medals when he retired in 2011.
With much free time on hand, Beck pursued his heart's desire by going through hormonal therapy. The next step was shaving the beard and wearing women's apparel.
When Beck felt it was time to reveal Kristin, the retired soldier published a photo of herself as a woman standing before an American flag. The picture, which was published on Linkedin, had the explanation: "I am now taking off my disguises and letting the world know my true identity as a woman."
However, instead of being rejected, many of Beck's former military colleagues even welcomed her. Here are some samples of their messages for Kristin.
"I can't say I understand the decision but I respect the courage. Peace and happiness be upon you."
"I just wanted to drop you a note and tell you that Kris has all the support and respect from me that Chris had ... and quite possibly more."
"While I'm definitely surprised, I'm also in amazement at the strength you possess and the courage necessary to combat the strangers and 'friends' that I'm guessing have reared their ugly heads prior to this and since your announcement."
Anne Speckhard, who co-authored the memoir, said, "Chris describes his despair throughout this book and his desire to die honorably by serving our country and fighting terrorism - to keep us safe and so that he wouldn't have to wrestle anymore with the emotional pain that stemmed from the lack of congruency between his gender identity and body."
Beck established Healing Grounds, a nonprofit organisation in Florida that provides psychosocial support to returning solders through landscape assistance and gardening experience.
Read also the journey of a young Filipina singer's journey after she outed herself as a lesbian in the following articles:
Former Glee Star Charice Pempengco Thanks Fans for Continued Support After Coming Out
Former Glee Star Charice Pempengco Admits in TV Show That She is Lesbian
Charice Pempengco Not Losing Fans Despite Former Glee Star's Admission She is Lesbian
Former Glee Star Charice Pempengco: I Knew I am Lesbian Since I was 5
Twilight Line Tattoo for Former Glee Star Charice Pempengco is Sign of Love for Girlfriend Alyssa Quijano
Mother of Former Glee Star Gives Up on Charice Pempengco
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Winds of Winter’ Fans' Speculation: Cersei Lannister As Regent
- Top 5 Best-Selling Young Adult Fiction Books For The Week Of Sept. 21, 2014 Including 'If I Stay' By Gayle Forman And ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ By John Green
- Pre-Order Booking Of ‘The Walking Dead’ Star Norman Reedus’ New Book ‘Thanks For All The Niceness’ Is On
- Next ‘Game of Thrones’ Book Releasing Soon
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Tyrion Lannister, Jorah Mormont & Arya Stark In Braavos
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet