Hourly Workers' Pay Fell most Since 1947 During the First Quarter
June 6, 2013 12:30 AM EST
The Bureau of Labor Statistics announced drops in labor costs Wednesday, showing that U.S. workers and businesses were not as productive in the first quarter as originally thought.
Newly revised figures of the January through March period show that although productivity measures rose by 0.5 percent overall, they did not rise at the 0.7 percent rate originally estimated.
Hourly worker compensation plunged 3.8 percent in the first quarter instead of rising 1.2 percent as originally estimated, marking compensation's steepest decline since the Labor Department began keeping track of the statistic in 1947. The manufacturing sector saw the largest drop in compensation and when adjusted for inflation, hourly wages fell even more dramatically at 5.2 percent.
The 3.8 percent decrease in hourly compensation plus the 0.5 percent increase in productivity combined to make labor costs in nonfarm businesses fall 4.3 percent. Labor costs reflect how much it costs a business to produce one unit of output.
Despite the quarter-over-quarter declines, compensation has risen 2.0 percent in the year-over-year measure while unit labor costs have gone up 1.1 percent annually.
Other adjustments include output, which was revised down from 2.5 percent to 2.1 percent as well as growth in hours worked, which dropped from 1.8 percent to 1.6 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: Sierra Leone Declares Emergency, Death Toll Now 729
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: US CDC Issues Travel Advisory; Virus 'Dreadful and Merciless'
- Australia's Tech Sector Outperforms US and UK with App Development Generating Billions
- Premier League: Manchester United Owners Set to Sell Shares via US Stock Exchange
- 5 Things Australia Imports from China
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup