End of the World 2013? Comet ISON Growing Brighter; Social Media Networks to See Fresh Round of Doomsday Talks [VIDEOS]
By Arlene Paredes | June 3, 2013 3:42 PM EST
Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) appears ready for a big cosmic show by Q4 2013. Gemini Observatory has photographed Comet ISON looking stronger and brighter, as if teasing Earth dwellers as it approaches the Sun. Meanwhile, expect social media networks to be flooded by another round of doomsday talks as ISON makes its historic solar encounter.
How long has Comet ISON been observed?
ISON was discovered in September 2012 by two Russian amateur astronomers. It is believed this comet is making its first passage into the inner solar system. It may have come from the space region called Oort Cloud, where there is abundance in stuff that makes a comet. Records show comets making a first sun encounter could either show strong activity or lose tail brightness.
Forty years ago, a comet called Kohoutek was also hyped up to bring a stellar show later in the year. But in December 1973, many spectators were disappointed as Kohoutek looked merely like a typical bright dot in the sky.
Will Comet ISON 2013 give a spectacular show in the sky?
ISON, which is expected to come to its closest approach to the Sun in November or December 2013, could amaze or disappoint observers, too. Scientists couldn't estimate how bright it would be until a couple more months. But it is a very promising celestial piece.
Comet ISON "could still become spectacularly bright as it gets very close to the Sun," said astronomer Karen Meech, of the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy. She pointed out, however, "I'd be remiss if I didn't add that it's still too early to predict what's going to happen with ISON since comets are notoriously unpredictable."
Why is Comet ISON linked to doomsday, End of the World 2013 prophecy talks?
Nostradamus reportedly made a prediction that "the pope to replace Benedict XVI will 'flee Rome' in the month of December, at a time when the sky has two suns." This is connected to earlier rumour-based speculations that Pope Francis, the 266th and current pope of the Catholic Church, will be the last pope to be named.
As it is not clear whether ISON would be bright enough in December, a 'sky with two suns' remains part of popular myth - a topic popular across social media channels.
VIDEO: Comet ISON in 2013 - Nibiru Doomsday or Omen of Christ's Return?
VIDEO: Comet ISON in 2013
More 'Space News' Features:
'End of the World' 2013: St. Malachy Prophecy, Nostradamus, Comet ISON, and the 'Last Pope' Connections [READ]
Massive Blast in the Moon: Watch Stunning Video of Record-setting Impact [PHOTO, VIDEO]
Mermaid Video: 'New Evidence' 2013 Creator Says, 'You can believe (mermaids) are real' [WATCH]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How