China Develops First Ever Vaccine Against Hand, Foot And Mouth Enterovirus 71 Disease
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 30, 2013 2:16 PM EST
China, a nation gripped with numerous viruses and infections, has ironically developed what could be the world's first ever working vaccine that could prevent the potentially deadly hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) in children.
The virus, called enterovirus 71, or EV71, gives off rashes and painful blisters. In some cases however it can lead to brain infections and spinal cord membranes which can be fatal in very young children. Severe exposure to the EV71 sometimes also lead to potentially fatal meningitis and encephalitis.
The researchers found that the vaccine that was made from a deactivated EV71 proved to be 90 per cent effective against the virus, in a trial involving 10,000 children, aged between six and 35 months who lived in four different places around China. Half were given two doses of the vaccine while the other half were given a placebo.
"During active surveillance, vaccine efficacy was 90 per cent against EV71-associated hand, foot and mouth disease and 80.4 per cent against EV71-associated disease," the researchers said in their paper.
It likewise "demonstrated 100 per cent efficacy against EV71-associated hospitalisation, suggesting that it could have a significant impact on public health by preventing severe outcomes of EV71 infection," the authors added.
However, the experimental shot does not protect against hand, foot and mouth disease given ofef by the coxsackievirus A16. Between EV71 and coxsackievirus, the latter is the most common cause of infection, according to the World Health Organization.
"This multicenter randomized controlled trial done in China is a notable advance in protection against EV71," pediatricians Nigel Crawford and Steve Graham from Melbourne, Australia's Murdoch Childrens Research Institute in Melbourne, said in a commentary. "The major effect of this vaccine will be to reduce hospital admissions."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Using Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms Could Spread Germs
- Text Neck Causes More Harm Than You Think
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Beating Postnatal Depression Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports