Sydney Fog Starts to Lift, But Travelers Still Warned of Transport Delays
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 29, 2013 1:07 PM EST
The thick fog that covered Sydney for the second consecutive day on Wednesday has started to lift up, but air carriers continued to advise travelers of potential flight delays in the coming hours.
A Qantas spokesperson told ABC Radio that Wednesday's scheduled flights could be delayed by as much as four hours, even more. Some flights were likewise expected to be diverted to Brisbane and Melbourne.
"Please check your flight status," a Qantas tweet read.
Web sites of Virgin Australia and Qantas likewise advise that several flights from Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane have been cancelled or delayed by more than 45 minutes.
At least 13 international flights failed to land in Sydney airport on Wednesday morning. The first plane that was able to touch down hit ground at 6:49 a.m. Seven other overseas flights landed only by 8 a.m.
Ben McBurney, meteorologist from Weatherzone, said light winds and cooler night-time temperatures combined with high moisture levels resulted to the white fog over Sydney.
Ferry services, which were initially cancelled at 5.30 a.m., have resumed at 9 a.m. However, a spokeswoman for Transport Management Centre warned delays would still occur within the day.
Weather experts said the fog could return on Thursday and Friday mornings.
Ferry and airline passengers were advised to contact their respective carriers since each are affected differently by the mayhem.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Japan’s Robotic Industry Is On A Rebound
- Sports Drinks Myths: The Truth About Sports Drinks
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change