Sydney Fog Starts to Lift, But Travelers Still Warned of Transport Delays
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 29, 2013 1:07 PM EST
The thick fog that covered Sydney for the second consecutive day on Wednesday has started to lift up, but air carriers continued to advise travelers of potential flight delays in the coming hours.
A Qantas spokesperson told ABC Radio that Wednesday's scheduled flights could be delayed by as much as four hours, even more. Some flights were likewise expected to be diverted to Brisbane and Melbourne.
"Please check your flight status," a Qantas tweet read.
Web sites of Virgin Australia and Qantas likewise advise that several flights from Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane have been cancelled or delayed by more than 45 minutes.
At least 13 international flights failed to land in Sydney airport on Wednesday morning. The first plane that was able to touch down hit ground at 6:49 a.m. Seven other overseas flights landed only by 8 a.m.
Ben McBurney, meteorologist from Weatherzone, said light winds and cooler night-time temperatures combined with high moisture levels resulted to the white fog over Sydney.
Ferry services, which were initially cancelled at 5.30 a.m., have resumed at 9 a.m. However, a spokeswoman for Transport Management Centre warned delays would still occur within the day.
Weather experts said the fog could return on Thursday and Friday mornings.
Ferry and airline passengers were advised to contact their respective carriers since each are affected differently by the mayhem.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- Jennifer Aniston Prefers Natural Ageing; Slams Cosmetic Surgery
- Breakthrough in Science: Genetic Recipe of Lizard Tail Generation Will Help Humans Get New Limbs
- The Chance To See a 125-Million Years Old Dinosaur Footprints
- Mega Spiders Will Soon Be Reality
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports