Sydney Fog Starts to Lift, But Travelers Still Warned of Transport Delays
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 29, 2013 1:07 PM EST
The thick fog that covered Sydney for the second consecutive day on Wednesday has started to lift up, but air carriers continued to advise travelers of potential flight delays in the coming hours.
A Qantas spokesperson told ABC Radio that Wednesday's scheduled flights could be delayed by as much as four hours, even more. Some flights were likewise expected to be diverted to Brisbane and Melbourne.
"Please check your flight status," a Qantas tweet read.
Web sites of Virgin Australia and Qantas likewise advise that several flights from Melbourne, Canberra and Brisbane have been cancelled or delayed by more than 45 minutes.
At least 13 international flights failed to land in Sydney airport on Wednesday morning. The first plane that was able to touch down hit ground at 6:49 a.m. Seven other overseas flights landed only by 8 a.m.
Ben McBurney, meteorologist from Weatherzone, said light winds and cooler night-time temperatures combined with high moisture levels resulted to the white fog over Sydney.
Ferry services, which were initially cancelled at 5.30 a.m., have resumed at 9 a.m. However, a spokeswoman for Transport Management Centre warned delays would still occur within the day.
Weather experts said the fog could return on Thursday and Friday mornings.
Ferry and airline passengers were advised to contact their respective carriers since each are affected differently by the mayhem.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date