Vivid Sydney Opens its Fifth Year with Spectacular Lights Show in 3-D (VIDEO)
By Frances Samson | May 27, 2013 12:43 PM EST
With this year's light artistry being touted as three times better than last year, the Sydney night sky experienced a magical make-over with the iconic landmark lighting it up in a rare visual feast.
Some of the eye-popping designs adorning the opera house were leopard skin, clown faces and at one point even gave the Sydney skyline a giant jungle illusion by showing off some claws.
Vivid Sydney is the biggest light, music and arts festival this part of the world. It is now on its fifth year and will run from May 24 to June 10.
This year, the festival commissioned the Spinifex Group, one of Australia's most artistic innovators, to lead the 3-D-orchestrated visual extravaganza. They were assisted in the creative execution by some of the world's imaginative personalities from the US, Germany, Italy, Greece, Malaysia, Korea, Poland, Brazil and New Zealand. These artists are responsible for one-third of the exquisite lighting installations.
For the first time in the world also, the famed Harbour Bridge of Sydney comes fully alive through an "interactive lighting installation" found in the western side of the bridge.
The public is given the chance to adorn the bridge according to their preferred design by just using the interactive touch screen controlling the light display.
According to event organizers, the main objective of the festival is to sow inspiration more than appreciation for the impressive visuals.
Aside from showcasing various lighting attractions around Sydney harbour, the festival also features exciting live performances and more than 120 arts and creative market events.
Part of Vivid Sydney's program is the Vivid LIVE at Sydney Opera House. It opened with the live performances courtesy of soul singer Bobby Womack and electronic music pioneers Kraftwerk.
The 17-day festival is a rare opportunity to experience the light, music and creative ideas of one of Australia's biggest cities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Late Singer Amy Winehouse's Statue Unveiled On Her 31st Birthday In North London [SEE VIDEO]
- DIY Spring Project: Make Your Own Bird Bath And Liven Up Your Garden
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos To Be Displayed In Art Exhibit
- Jennifer Lawrence And Kate Upton's Uncensored Nude Photos To Be Put Up In Exhibition In Florida
- Hello Kitty's Shocking News: She Is Not Cat But A Little Girl Of George and Mary White
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order