Vivid Sydney Opens its Fifth Year with Spectacular Lights Show in 3-D (VIDEO)
By Frances Samson | May 27, 2013 12:43 PM EST
With this year's light artistry being touted as three times better than last year, the Sydney night sky experienced a magical make-over with the iconic landmark lighting it up in a rare visual feast.
Some of the eye-popping designs adorning the opera house were leopard skin, clown faces and at one point even gave the Sydney skyline a giant jungle illusion by showing off some claws.
Vivid Sydney is the biggest light, music and arts festival this part of the world. It is now on its fifth year and will run from May 24 to June 10.
This year, the festival commissioned the Spinifex Group, one of Australia's most artistic innovators, to lead the 3-D-orchestrated visual extravaganza. They were assisted in the creative execution by some of the world's imaginative personalities from the US, Germany, Italy, Greece, Malaysia, Korea, Poland, Brazil and New Zealand. These artists are responsible for one-third of the exquisite lighting installations.
For the first time in the world also, the famed Harbour Bridge of Sydney comes fully alive through an "interactive lighting installation" found in the western side of the bridge.
The public is given the chance to adorn the bridge according to their preferred design by just using the interactive touch screen controlling the light display.
According to event organizers, the main objective of the festival is to sow inspiration more than appreciation for the impressive visuals.
Aside from showcasing various lighting attractions around Sydney harbour, the festival also features exciting live performances and more than 120 arts and creative market events.
Part of Vivid Sydney's program is the Vivid LIVE at Sydney Opera House. It opened with the live performances courtesy of soul singer Bobby Womack and electronic music pioneers Kraftwerk.
The 17-day festival is a rare opportunity to experience the light, music and creative ideas of one of Australia's biggest cities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ancient Large Phalluses Gay Graffiti Become One of World’s Earliest Erotica
- Prince William Horrible New Portrait Revealed, Twitter Reactions
- CSIRO Reveals Involvement w/ Mystery Behind Picasso’s The Blue Room
- Game of Thrones Museum of Contemporary Art Australia Exhibit Attracts Long Lines
- PM Abbott’s Sister Strips Naked For Archibald Prize 2014
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June