Cylinder Blast In School Bus Kills 17 Children, Teacher In Pakistan; Seven Children Injured
May 25, 2013 5:24 PM EST
Seventeen children and a teacher were burnt to death in Pakistan’s Punjab province on Saturday when the bus taking them to a school caught fire apparently due to a cylinder explosion, local media reported.
Seven children were critically injured in the blaze on the outskirts of Gujrat, 120 miles southeast of Islamabad, DawnNews reported.
The blaze apparently was caused when a faulty gas cylinder in the vehicle exploded resulting in the fire.
“This is a very sad incident. According to our information, at least 17 children were burned to death,” Police officer Mohammed Rasheed told Associated Press. “The school bus caught fire after the blast. We have transported all the victims to a nearby hospital,” he added.
The school bus was carrying more than 20 children to their school, when it suddenly caught fire.
The bus driver fled the scene and police were conducting raids to arrest him, Reuters reported.
Many vehicles in the energy-starved Pakistan depend on cheap compressed natural gas for fuel. Cylinder blasts are common in the country as fuel is contained in substandard cylinders.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Julie Bishop: ISIS Is 'Australia's Responsibility'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display