Sri Lanka: Buddhist Monk Sets Himself on Fire to Protest Cattle Slaughter [GRAPHIC VIDEO]
By Drishya Nair | May 25, 2013 5:13 PM EST
A Buddhist monk set himself on fire to protest against the slaughter of cattle in Sri Lanka.
According to the Mail Online, the incident took place on Friday and happened near the Temple of Buddha's Tooth Relic, in the town of Kandy. A police spokesperson, Buddika Siriwardena, claimed the temple holds particular religious significance for Buddhists.
The monk suffered severe burn injuries and was rushed to the Colombo National Hospital, where he is under treatment. Buddhism, the state religion of Sri Lanka, preaches against the killing of any life form.
Friday was a public holiday in Sri Lanka, in honour of the festival of Wesak. This marks the Buddha's birthday, his enlightenment and death. The occasion is celebrated across all Buddhist countries but there are variations in the traditions and beliefs.
During the festival, meat and shops selling alcohol remain closed.
Meat eating is generally accepted among the Buddhist community in Sri Lanka but most avoid beef, as the cow is considered a sacred animal.
String of Self-Immolations
This event is the latest in a number of self-immolations by Buddhist monks.
In February, a Tibetan monk died after setting himself on fire in the Nepalese capital of Kathmandu. He was protesting China's occupation of Tibet. The 21-year-old reportedly died chanting anti-China slogans.
Two years ago, in October, two monks committed a similar act in southwest China, to protest against the country's government. The two were 18 and 20 years old and were taken to hospital and treated for burn injuries before being discharged, according to a report filed by the Xinhua News Agency.
Watch the video below [WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT]
[Video Courtesy: YouTube/Lankika Rupa]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change