Food Safety Problems Continue In China: Over 500 Students Ill After School Meal
May 25, 2013 5:49 AM EST
China’s food safety problems are continuing to dominate headlines. Amid new claims of cadmium-tainted rice in Guangzhou, reports from northwestern Qinghai province are saying that over 500 students have fallen ill after consuming biscuits and milk provided by their school.
Coming off the heels of the newest rice scandal, the reports of rat and fox meat being sold as lamb prior to that, and the other items on China’s long list of food safety scandals, young students have become sick over government-funded school “nutritious” meals.
According to a report by state-owned China Daily, a total of 548 primary and middle school students across seven different townships fell ill on Wednesday from food poisoning after all eating contaminated food. The report cited Datong County’s publicity bureau saying that about a dozen of them were in serious condition as a result of the food poisoning.
The meal, which is served between breakfast and lunch, served as a supplementary snack to hold students over. Soon after consumption, students began exhibiting symptoms like vomiting, dizziness and headaches. A student only identified by their last name, Ma, said that the milk that students were given had “a strange smell.” She drank it anyway and quickly felt nauseous after drinking it and then fainted in the classroom.
After investigations, it was determined that either the milk or the biscuits were the cause. A local official said that the tainted food could have affected as many as 56 or the county’s 72 primary and middle schools. The local food-safety bureau has confiscated all other foods that also could be contaminated while some samples have been collected for testing by health authorities.
The free meals began last spring as a government effort to provide the rural students improved nutrition at school.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Italian Appeals Court Overturns 2013 Sex with Underage Prostitute Conviction Against Former PM Silvio Berlusconi
- New Senator Jacqui Lambie Heats Up Aussie Radio by Saying Potential Suitor Should Be Rich and Well-Hung
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time