India and China's Rating Fall; Corruption and Scandals Take Toll on Nations' Image
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 24, 2013 9:48 PM EST
India and China have been seen as future super powers by the world but their positive views have taken a dip over the last year, according to a recent poll conducted by GlobeScan along with Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) for BBC World Service.
A total of 26,299 citizens across 25 countries were interviewed for the 2013 Country Ratings Poll, wherein respondents were asked to rate 16 countries and the EU on whether their influence in the world is "mostly positive" or "mostly negative."
The poll indicates that average positive views of India have dropped six points to 34 percent and negative views up eight points to 35 percent. It is ranked twelfth in the table. Similarly, China's average positive views also dropped eight points to 42 per cent while negative views have risen by the same amount to reach 39 per cent. It is ranked ninth.
It seems the fall in economic growth rate and widespread corruption has hampered the image of Asian countries.
"While China and India's prestige was enhanced by defying the gravity of the economic downturn, they seem to be falling back to earth with slowing growth rates and a perception of widespread corruption. The scandals surrounding the treatment of women in India may also have had an impact on this year's findings," said Steven Kull, Director of PIPA.
Of the other 15 countries rated in the poll (excluding Indian and China), nine saw their ratings worsen this year. The UK is the most improved, making it to the third most positively rated country, probably due to the impact of the 2012 Olympics held in the country.
"With ratings of most countries declining this year, it appears that frustration with governments in general is growing, as nearly five years on from the financial crisis they seem incapable of pulling their economies out of the slump. But the 'Olympics effect' looks to have allowed the UK to buck this negative global trend," said GlobeScan Director Sam Mountford.
Germany is the most favourably viewed country with 59 percent, displacing Japan, which saw its positive ratings plunge from 58 to 51 percent and fall from first to fourth place overall. Cannada is placed in the second position with 55 percent positive view and 13 percent negative view. The UK has climbed from fourth to third place after being rated positively by 55 percent and 18 percent of negative rating.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers