Main U.S. Weather Satellite Fails, GOES-13 Failure Equals Trouble For East Coast Hurricane Season
May 23, 2013 9:54 PM EST
Just on the brink of hurricane season, the U.S. is facing a major issue in the way of predicting possible storms in the upcoming months after the failure of one of the country’s main weather satellites this week. The Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite, also known as GOES-13, reportedly ceased to operate as of Tuesday, making it impossible to predict weather patterns on the East Coast.
According to Accuweather meteorologist Alex Sosnowski, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is unable to receive images from the satellite. USA Today reported Wednesday that the failure of GOES-13 is making it next to impossible to predict weather trends in its designated locations, the East Coast and the tropical Atlantic Ocean.
With less than one month away from the start of the official Hurricane Season on June 1, and less than one year since the East Coast was ravaged by super storm Sandy, destroying countless homes and businesses, meteorologists are reportedly concerned over the satellite’s inability to correctly forecast potentially dead storms.
“[This is] not good on the verge of hurricane season,” said J. Marshall Shepherd, a research meteorologist at the University of Georgia.
According to AccuWeather.com, the NOAA utilized GOES-15, majorly used to cover West Coat weather patterns, as a temporary satellite following Tuesday’s disturbance. In response to the satellite failure, NOAA is reportedly activating GOES-14 as early as Thursday, USA Today confirming that if the backup satellite fails, options will be limited in forecasting upcoming floods, thunderstorms and hurricanes.
“[These] are key instruments for meteorologists to provide watches and warnings for these dangerous weather phenomena,” said Sosnowski.
AccuWeather.com reported that GOES-13 was first put into orbit after many failed launch attempts in 2006 and was expected to remain in operation until 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft