Main U.S. Weather Satellite Fails, GOES-13 Failure Equals Trouble For East Coast Hurricane Season
May 23, 2013 9:54 PM EST
Just on the brink of hurricane season, the U.S. is facing a major issue in the way of predicting possible storms in the upcoming months after the failure of one of the country’s main weather satellites this week. The Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite, also known as GOES-13, reportedly ceased to operate as of Tuesday, making it impossible to predict weather patterns on the East Coast.
According to Accuweather meteorologist Alex Sosnowski, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is unable to receive images from the satellite. USA Today reported Wednesday that the failure of GOES-13 is making it next to impossible to predict weather trends in its designated locations, the East Coast and the tropical Atlantic Ocean.
With less than one month away from the start of the official Hurricane Season on June 1, and less than one year since the East Coast was ravaged by super storm Sandy, destroying countless homes and businesses, meteorologists are reportedly concerned over the satellite’s inability to correctly forecast potentially dead storms.
“[This is] not good on the verge of hurricane season,” said J. Marshall Shepherd, a research meteorologist at the University of Georgia.
According to AccuWeather.com, the NOAA utilized GOES-15, majorly used to cover West Coat weather patterns, as a temporary satellite following Tuesday’s disturbance. In response to the satellite failure, NOAA is reportedly activating GOES-14 as early as Thursday, USA Today confirming that if the backup satellite fails, options will be limited in forecasting upcoming floods, thunderstorms and hurricanes.
“[These] are key instruments for meteorologists to provide watches and warnings for these dangerous weather phenomena,” said Sosnowski.
AccuWeather.com reported that GOES-13 was first put into orbit after many failed launch attempts in 2006 and was expected to remain in operation until 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health