American Cancer Society Turns 100, Cancer Incidents in U.S. Trending Downward
May 23, 2013 6:29 AM EST
In a bit of good news today, the American Cancer Society reports that as of Wednesday, its 100th birthday, two out of three people who are diagnosed with cancer today will survive for at least five years, and cancer rates in the U.S. are down 20 percent overall since the 1990s.
ACS was founded in 1913 by a group of 15 doctors and businessmen in New York City, under the name “American Society for the Control of Cancer.” Life expectancy in the U.S. then was under 50, and at the time the biggest killer diseases were the flu, pneumonia, and tuberculosis. "Cancer is a disease of aging, so as people live longer there will be more cancer," Dr. Michael Kastan, executive director of Duke University's Cancer Institute, told AP.
"In 1970, it was projected that cancer incidence and mortality would continue to rise beyond the year 2000," Vincent T. DeVita, Jr., M.D., national volunteer president of the American Cancer Society, said in a statement on the group’s website. "Today, not only have mortality rates declined since the early 1990s, but we're averting more than 400 cancer deaths every day."
AP reported that in 2011 the ACS had revenues of $925 million. The Society is also known for pushing women to get Pap tests and mammograms, which they say has contributed to a 70 percent decline in uterine and cervical cancer. According to the Center for Disease Control, approximately 12.7 million people worldwide get cancer every year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes