Indian Maids in Saudi Arabia Sentenced to 2,000 Lashes and Jail Terms for Black Magic
By Hannah Osborne | May 23, 2013 12:38 AM EST
Two Indian housemaids in Saudi Arabia have been jailed for 10 years and sentenced to 2,000 lashes each for practising black magic.
The general court in Riyadh passed the sentence after a Saudi national filed a complaint, the Saudi Gazette reported. He said his two maids had used black magic to inflict harm on him and members of his family.
The women were found with talismans when they were arrested, said police.
Their case came within days of the signing of an agreement between Saudi Arabia and the Philippines, in which the kingdom promised better protection for foreign household service workers.
Philippines labour and employment secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz met Saudi Arabia's labour minister Adel bin Mohammed Fakeih in Jeddah to agree on the terms.
These included employers having to treat their staff humanely, not being able to withhold their passports, not being able to make unauthorised deductions from their employees salary and giving their staff paid holiday and rest periods during the day.
Many people from impoverished countries move to Saudi Arabia in their desperate search for a job and relatively good wages.
Once they arrive, however, they are granted few rights and many suffer abuse by their employers.
Human rights groups say maids work for months without pay, some are beaten and others are at risk of being falsely accused of crimes.
Nisha Varia, from Human Rights Watch, said Indonesian maids were at particularly high risk of being accused of witchcraft - a crime punishable by death.
Last year, a Sri Lankan maid was placed on death row after being accused of witchcraft.
It is estimated that 45 maids from Sri Lanka, Indonesia, the Philippines and India are currently awaiting execution in Saudi Arabia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- Mass Panic Over Houston's 'Blinking Lights' in the Sky; UFO Sceptics Still Not Convinced
- American Journalist Steven Sotloff at Risk of Beheading Too If US Gov’t Refuses to Pay $100 Million Ransom to Islamic State Like It Did With James Foley
- Social Gap Between New Zealand Ethnic Groups 'Worsening'
- Autistic Business Owners Capitalize On Strengths For Success
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop