Indian Maids in Saudi Arabia Sentenced to 2,000 Lashes and Jail Terms for Black Magic
By Hannah Osborne | May 23, 2013 12:38 AM EST
Two Indian housemaids in Saudi Arabia have been jailed for 10 years and sentenced to 2,000 lashes each for practising black magic.
The general court in Riyadh passed the sentence after a Saudi national filed a complaint, the Saudi Gazette reported. He said his two maids had used black magic to inflict harm on him and members of his family.
The women were found with talismans when they were arrested, said police.
Their case came within days of the signing of an agreement between Saudi Arabia and the Philippines, in which the kingdom promised better protection for foreign household service workers.
Philippines labour and employment secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz met Saudi Arabia's labour minister Adel bin Mohammed Fakeih in Jeddah to agree on the terms.
These included employers having to treat their staff humanely, not being able to withhold their passports, not being able to make unauthorised deductions from their employees salary and giving their staff paid holiday and rest periods during the day.
Many people from impoverished countries move to Saudi Arabia in their desperate search for a job and relatively good wages.
Once they arrive, however, they are granted few rights and many suffer abuse by their employers.
Human rights groups say maids work for months without pay, some are beaten and others are at risk of being falsely accused of crimes.
Nisha Varia, from Human Rights Watch, said Indonesian maids were at particularly high risk of being accused of witchcraft - a crime punishable by death.
Last year, a Sri Lankan maid was placed on death row after being accused of witchcraft.
It is estimated that 45 maids from Sri Lanka, Indonesia, the Philippines and India are currently awaiting execution in Saudi Arabia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family