Venus, Mercury and Jupiter Planetary Alignment 2013: Enjoy the Rare Sunset View - NASA [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | May 22, 2013 3:52 PM EST
Stargazers may want to observe Venus, Mercury and Jupiter towards the western horizon soon after sunset. By May 24, these three planets will form a triangle that fits "within a 5-degree circle and will stay that close together until May 29."
In a report by Earthsky.org, stargazers do not need special instruments to see the three planets (Venus, Mercury and Jupiter) appearing so close together to one's view. Clear skies, unobstructed view and right timing are important to see this rare spectacle. The planets will disappear into the sky soon after the sun does.
"This grouping is especially good because Venus and Jupiter are the brightest planets, and Mercury appears brighter, too, than most stars. The planetary trio will be visible even in places with heavy urban light pollution," reads a feature on Earthsky.org.
Venus, Mercury and Jupiter Planetary Alignment: Rare Cosmic Event for Astrophotograhers
This evening twilight scene should not be missed by astrophotographers. Ready your tripod and long exposure skills. But more important, mind your location. As for clear skies, you can only keep your fingers crossed.
A NASA video clip is featured on YouTube via the ScienceAtNASA channel about this rare planetary view. Get more information about locating Venus, Mercury and Jupiter in the sky. (Scroll down to watch this clip here.)
Venus, Mercury and Jupiter Alignment: Meaning in Ancient Times, Astrology
"For the ancient Chinese, close gatherings of planets portended the end of - or at least a threat to - dynastic continuity," Anthony Aveni, an astronomy and anthropology professor at Colgate University, told Business Insider.
"The emperor would call his counsel and assess the threat, which makes sense because the planets look like they are conspiring in the sky."
In astrology, those looking for the special meaning of this planetary alignment will be glad to know "luck" comes with the rare cosmic sighting.
"Venus and Jupiter are considered 'benefic' or lucky planets, (so) this is a potentially auspicious alignment," astrologer Kelly Surtees writes.
VIDEO: Venus, Mercury and Jupiter Alignment: Enjoy the Rare Sunset View
Massive Blast in the Moon: Watch Stunning Video of Record-setting Impact [PHOTO, VIDEO]
Big Bang Theory Season 6 Finale: Rajesh Koothrappali Did What?! Time for a Breakthrough! [READ]
Big Bang Theory Season 6 Finale Spoilers: 'Wolowitz' Actor Dishes Scoop, Teasers, and Some Shockers [VIDEOS]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Crocodile Attacks, Takes Man in Adelaide River; Wife Witnesses Tragedy
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display