Laura Fernee, the Woman Who Claims She’s Too Attractive To Work
By Anne Lu | May 22, 2013 11:17 AM EST
Laura Fernee has a science PhD, but been unemployed for two years. No, it's not because of the dismal economy, but because of her looks. The 33-year-old London resident claims that her good looks had attracted unwanted attention from her male colleagues, forcing her to quit her job.
In an interview with the U.K. programme "This Morning", Fernee said that left her work at a medical research lab in 2011, where she earned £30,000 [approximately A$46,000], because she was subjected to unwanted attention by her male colleagues and harassment from her jealous female co-workers.
She claimed she was left traumatised because she was "constantly asked out" and that there were also "romantic gifts and notes" on her desk.
"Male colleagues were only interested in me for how I looked. I wanted them to recognise my achievements and my professionalism, but all they saw was my face and body," the slender brunette complained.
"Even when I was in a laboratory in scrubs with no makeup, they still came on to me because of my natural attractiveness. There was nothing I could do to stop it."
The men weren't her only problem. Her female colleagues also made her life at work a living hell.
"They assumed because I was pretty I was stupid so didn't take me seriously at first and, because of their own insecurities, were jealous of my looks," she was quoted by the Daily Mirror as saying.
"Then when they realised I was very good at my job, possibly better than them, they hated me even more."
So after three years of working at the laboratory, she quit because she couldn't take the treatment she was receiving anymore.
Fernee is now being supported by her affluent parents, who pay her £2,000/mo rent and bills for her Notting Hill flat, as well as pick up her credit card bills, pay £1,500 a month for her designer clothes and accessories, and £700 for her haircuts.
She insisted, though, that she is "not lazy and I'm not bimbo."
She is now writing a book to help fellow attractive women deal with similar situations.
Online reactions to Fernee's "rant" are largely negative, with many people commenting that it's not her looks that's her burden, but her attitude.
"I reckon she found it easier living off her parents than trying to live within her means," one commenter said after noting that she only earned £30,000 when she needed approximately £120,000 per annum to support her lifestyle.
Other commenters wrote that she is just "too full of herself," "too arrogant," and even "looks a decade beyond 33."
Some were kinder, saying that she has a point when it comes down to sexual harassment, though she should have noticed their HR department.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner Joins Cara Delevingne At Fendi Runway For Milan Fashion Week
- Lindsay Lohan Poses In Silk Underwear For Wonderland Magazine, Talks About Her Favourite Fashion Brands, Shares Beauty Tips [SEE VIDEO]
- Kim Kardashian Exposes Butt As She Becomes Victim To Another Wardrobe Malfunction
- Jessica Alba Talks About Her Entrepreneurial Side, Says She Considers Jennifer Lopez As Her Idol
- Post Nude Photo Scandal, Jennifer Lawrence Is 'Powerful' Woman For Dior Campaign, Wears Inspirational Message T-Shirt [SEE VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best