Kevin Rudd Supports Gay Marriage
By Precious Silva | May 22, 2013 9:05 AM EST
Former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd had a change of heart. Previously in opposition of same-sex marriage, Rudd announced his support for gay marriage explaining his decision was part of his personal journey. He also denied claims that he was only gunning for political points upon his announcement.
Rudd posted his new stand on his blog announcing his support for same-sex couples. He claimed that they should be permitted to get married given the ceremony is performed any place else than churches or religious institutions. Opposition still questioned this newfound support the previous minister is showing.
In the past, Rudd had been popular for stern opposition against gay marriage. He even voted against legalizing same-sex marriage in September 2012. Legalization of gay marriage did not push through. It lost parliamentary vote which was at 98-42 in favor of the opposition.
Despite what detractors are saying, Rudd insisted that his same-sex marriage advocacy is nothing more than a change of heart. He wanted to let the people know of his choice prior to starting new vote about legalization. Voting in the lower house will be on June 6.
"If you can't be grown up enough in the Australian national political debate ... and reach an amended or changed position, then frankly you shouldn't be in national political life," Yahoo News quoted the former Prime Minister in Brisbane.
Rudd clarified he was not publicizing his stand for his new position - or that it will boost his position with the present Prime Minister.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How