Turkey Hot Air Balloon Mishap: Three Brazilians Dead, 22 Injured (VIDEO)
By Frances Samson | May 21, 2013 2:11 PM EST
A collision of two hot air balloons in Central Turkey on Monday left three Brazilian tourists dead and 22 others hurt, according to reports.
The fateful accident happened over the jagged rock formations of Cappadocia as one balloon's wicker basket slashed into another's bag in mid-air, Nevsehir provincial governor Abdurrahman Savas told news agency Anatolia.
Citing eye witness accounts, the governor said "The lower balloon was torn and fell quickly."
Owner of the hot-air balloon Halil Uluer went down immediately after the accident and expressed "shock" over the tragedy. He said the pilot had taken all the necessary safety measures.
"These types of flights have been happening safely in Cappadocia for 20 years," Uluer told Anatolia.
Two casualties of the incident included Brazilian senior citizens aged 71 and 65 who died on the spot. The others sustained injuries like broken bones, Mr. Savas said.
Another Brazilian, aged 76, died hours later after being brought to the hospital. According to reports from Anatolia, others injured included "ten Spaniards, seven Brazilians, three Argentines, a Portuguese and a Puerto Rican."
The injured tourists are said to be part of a big South American group that is on a holiday in the region.
Turkish television reported that an investigation on the accident has already been launched by authorities.
Hot-air ballooning has become increasingly popular in Turkey with several companies offering balloon aircraft rides over Cappadocia, a popular tourist attraction known for its cone-shaped rock patterns, rock-sculpted underground settlements and old Christian churches.
The hot-air balloon industry has grown tremendously over the last 10 years, according to theTurkish website. At present, there are reportedly 20 different companies operating around 140 balloons, providing employment to roughly 1,400 people.
Just last February, another hot-air balloon exploded in Luxor, Egpyt leaving 19 people dead.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- West End Apartment Owners Against Sarah Jessica Parker's Shoe Shoot, Wish 'Carrie Bradshaw' Would Live Somewhere Else
- 7 Frighteningly Spectacular Halloween Cocktail Recipes And Ideas
- Scott Disick Takes Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Out On a Date In A $2 Million Car
- $15,854 ‘Vertu for Bentley’ Smartphone Features Apple iPhone 6-Like 4.7-Inch Display, 64 GB Memory And Sapphire Crystal Protection
- Ford Family Business Accused of ‘Mismanagement’
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports