Chinese Accused Of Inflating Trade Surplus Tenfold
May 21, 2013 12:33 PM EST
China’s trade surplus is only a tenth of the $61 billion reported by the government so far this year after accounting for fake transactions used to disguise hot-money inflows, Bank of America Corp. said Monday.
The true surplus is about $6 billion, Lu Ting, Bank of America’s head of Greater China economics in Hong Kong, told Bloomberg. That would be the smallest figure for the January-April period since a $10.8 billion deficit in 2004.
Lu’s calculations indicate that the surplus shrank instead of tripling from a year earlier, a sign that global demand is restraining rather than boosting the Chinese economy. Bank of America’s estimate underscores the enormity of possible discrepancies in the trade data, which has been disputed by analysts for four months, and broader skepticism about Chinese statistics from GDP to jobs.
“Growth is weak in China now -- the overstated export growth means the real growth is slightly weaker,” said Shen Jianguang, chief Asia economist at Mizuho Securities Asia Ltd. in Hong Kong. “We are expecting to see a fairly big drop in export growth in the coming months” as regulators crack down on so-called hot-money inflows, he added.
Beijing reported a trade surplus of $18.8 billion for the first four months of 2012.
Lu said the gimmicks may have included exports and imports that enabled money flows for people engaged in arbitrage between the onshore and offshore exchange rates for the yuan. He speculated that gold shipments in and out of Hong Kong have been for this purpose, since valuable goods with low transportation costs are “ideal channels” for hot money flows.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display