Massive Blast in the Moon: Watch Stunning Video of Record-setting Impact [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | May 20, 2013 6:26 PM EST
NASA scientists announced a meteorite made a record lunar impact two months ago. This resulted in a fresh massive crater which added a mark to the man on the moon. The cosmic slam caused a powerful explosion so huge, it could have been visible to someone examining the moon closely at the time.
NASA announced the impact occurred on March 17, but it was not immediately reported. The crash was first observed by Ron Suggs, an analyst at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.
Suggs was reviewing some lunar observation footages when he caught the clip of the crash. After some scrutiny, NASA scientists deduced the size of the meteorite to be about 1-foot in width, weighing about 88 lbs. It was about the size of a small boulder. It may be relatively small, but the space rock was traveling at an estimated rate of 56,000 mph. As a result, the meteorite left a 65 feet wide crater mark.
"On March 17, 2013, an object about the size of a small boulder hit the lunar surface in Mare Imbrium," Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office told the media. "It exploded in a flash nearly 10 times as bright as anything we've ever seen before."
Lunar meteor impacts have been under NASA monitoring for eight years now. However, a larger more powerful explosion has not been observed until Suggs did."It jumped right out at me, it was so bright," Suggs said.
The huge blast meant to scientist an opportunity to study the moon and the frequency of its hits relative to its position in space.
"We'll be keeping an eye out for signs of a repeat performance next year when the Earth-Moon system passes through the same region of space," Cooke explained. "Meanwhile, our analysis of the March 17th event continues."
VIDEO: Massive Blast in the Moon: Record-setting Impact, Watch Stunning Explosion
More IB Times Features:
Solar Eclipse 2013: Australia Photos on Twitter with Sydney Observatory and Other Users [READ]
Big Bang Theory Season 6 Finale Spoilers: 'Wolowitz' Actor Dishes Scoop, Teasers, and Some Shockers [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air