Massive Blast in the Moon: Watch Stunning Video of Record-setting Impact [PHOTO, VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | May 20, 2013 6:26 PM EST
NASA scientists announced a meteorite made a record lunar impact two months ago. This resulted in a fresh massive crater which added a mark to the man on the moon. The cosmic slam caused a powerful explosion so huge, it could have been visible to someone examining the moon closely at the time.
NASA announced the impact occurred on March 17, but it was not immediately reported. The crash was first observed by Ron Suggs, an analyst at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.
Suggs was reviewing some lunar observation footages when he caught the clip of the crash. After some scrutiny, NASA scientists deduced the size of the meteorite to be about 1-foot in width, weighing about 88 lbs. It was about the size of a small boulder. It may be relatively small, but the space rock was traveling at an estimated rate of 56,000 mph. As a result, the meteorite left a 65 feet wide crater mark.
"On March 17, 2013, an object about the size of a small boulder hit the lunar surface in Mare Imbrium," Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office told the media. "It exploded in a flash nearly 10 times as bright as anything we've ever seen before."
Lunar meteor impacts have been under NASA monitoring for eight years now. However, a larger more powerful explosion has not been observed until Suggs did."It jumped right out at me, it was so bright," Suggs said.
The huge blast meant to scientist an opportunity to study the moon and the frequency of its hits relative to its position in space.
"We'll be keeping an eye out for signs of a repeat performance next year when the Earth-Moon system passes through the same region of space," Cooke explained. "Meanwhile, our analysis of the March 17th event continues."
VIDEO: Massive Blast in the Moon: Record-setting Impact, Watch Stunning Explosion
More IB Times Features:
Solar Eclipse 2013: Australia Photos on Twitter with Sydney Observatory and Other Users [READ]
Big Bang Theory Season 6 Finale Spoilers: 'Wolowitz' Actor Dishes Scoop, Teasers, and Some Shockers [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- FIFA Official Says 2022 World Cup Would No Longer Be Hosted By Qatar Because It Is Too Hot
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Mysterious Fireball Spotted Over The Rockies Was A Russian Spy Satellite, Experts Say
- UFO-Sculpture Built To Mark Rendlesham UFO Incident; To Be Installed At Forest Site
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L